GOOD PICS AND INFORMATION ON ENTERITIS

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good info. I lost a nursing doe and just got another back to eating a day or so ago.

I took her out of the cage and let her run around. Once her natural curiousity took over, she moved around quite a bit. I massaged her belly a bit after that, keeping her warm for several hours as well. Then I put some dandelions in water to tempt her to eat and drink and some probiotic past. I also offered her some lemon balm, which she gobbled up. She passed a lot of mucous. I put a bit of revitalite in the water when I noticed she drank a bit, and continued feeding dandelions and lemon balm for nearly a week, until she was ready to eat pellets.
So far I have several rabbits get sick, and I have been able to save three with these steps. After letting them run around and get that gut moving, the key seems to get some type of electrolyte and probiotic in the system, them find something they will at least nibble at. I switched foods because I couldn't get what I usually feed, and that set off a chain reaction throughout the rabbitry (a long with the weather I can only assume).

in the summer...when I used to struggle with entropathic illness alot (two + years ago) my trick to get them going again was prickly lettuce and swimming at least three times each day. The swimming did two things...gave them exercise AND made them wet so when they licked themselves off they got a fair bit of water into themselves.

ladysown":1kg8lh6p said:
in the summer...when I used to struggle with entropathic illness alot (two + years ago) my trick to get them going again was prickly lettuce and swimming at least three times each day. The swimming did two things...gave them exercise AND made them wet so when they licked themselves off they got a fair bit of water into themselves.

I did not know rabbits swam. Do they do this willingly?

skysthelimit":28ptyq07 said:
I did not know rabbits swam.

I believe that all mammals are born with the capability of swimming, with the exception of some primates. Animals are buoyant, and most are built in a way that their heads would remain above water while swimming, and they move through the water using the same motions they would on land.

When I was a kid, my friend and I would occasionally decide that her pet rats and mice needed to be bathed, and just for the fun of it, we would make them swim in the bathtub. :lol:

MamaSheepdog":6fobxu2o said:
skysthelimit":6fobxu2o said:
I did not know rabbits swam.

I believe that all mammals are born with the capability of swimming, with the exception of some primates. Animals are buoyant, and most are built in a way that their heads would remain above water while swimming, and they move through the water using the same motions they would on land.

When I was a kid, my friend and I would occasionally decide that her pet rats and mice needed to be bathed, and just for the fun of it, we would make them swim in the bathtub. :lol:

:) I mean willingly. I have dogs that absolutely hate swimming, and some that jump in any puddle of what they can find. If given a choice, rabbits choice to swim?

skysthelimit":l5w0g52b said:
:) I mean willingly.

Oh. <Sheepish grin>

Well, the rats and mice weren't willing! LOL! "Swim for the side, swim for the side!"

Sky,

There are youtube videos of bunnies swimming willingly! They are hilarious! One gal reported that some of her does would actually turn on their back and float, and that the babies would be in and out and splashing and bothering mom ... sort of like people kids :D

AnnClaire":1p6a4o5v said:
Sky,

There are youtube videos of bunnies swimming willingly! They are hilarious! One gal reported that some of her does would actually turn on their back and float, and that the babies would be in and out and splashing and bothering mom ... sort of like people kids :D

so now I need a kiddie pool for the dogs and bunnies!!!! :bunnyhop:

Latest posts

Back