Going to attempt hand raising....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tegan

Reaction score
I'm going to try to hand raise Idjet's kits. If this were any other bunny I would TRY to flip her...but Idjet is well....not very easy to handle. I would put them in with Turkey's kits, but at this point Turkey's are 10 times bigger then Idjet's.

I'm not very hopeful for one of them...it looks like he may have gotten a meal or two, just enough for a growth spurt...then nothing more....so he's big and skinny. There was one dead in the box, and then the other 5 are small, and a little skinny, but MAY make it.

The first hand-feeding was fairly successful for some...hardly at all for others. But everyone at least got a little bit. I'm going to try feeding again tonight in hopes that the little bit of groceries I got into them is enough to give them some strength to really eat.

I'm giving the one kit till tomorrow morning to make a bit of a turn around, then I'm going to cull him if he doesn't improve. I have to give him at least a little bit of a chance.

The supplemental feeding you are giving them will help, but without some milk from their mother (or Turkey) it is unlikely you will be able to raise them.

Since Turkey's kits are doing so well, it wont hurt them to miss a meal. You could swap their entire nests out each day so that each litter gets one good meal from Turkey, and one not so good meal from Idjet. The stronger suckling of Turkey's kits may help to bring Idjet's milk in. This post may help you find foods that will bring her milk in:

feeds-to-enhance-milk-production-t5090.html

They are in a colony, so I think if Turkey was going to take over her kits she would have done it by now. I really don't have a lot of hope for these guys, but I've got to at least try.

:( I would definitely not completely remove them. Just bring them in in the late morning to feed them, then put them back out. Feed again at night if you can.

You may be able to replace Turkey's kits with Idjet's -- put them in Turkey's nest -- for a feeding. Put them in there tonight, and take them out tomorrow mid-morning. That will ensure they get a feeding.

Good luck! :clover:

Sadly I doubt they'll make it....they just cant seem to be able to feed, though some do better then others.. I'm going to keep trying for at least one more day but I have very very little hope for this litter. They are all wrinkles and backbones....

I hate to mess with Turkey's kits like that, I would hate for her to decide that Idjet's kits are dieing and reject them, and then have her reject her own kits when I place them back.

This is basically a last ditch effort to save them before I cull. They were born on Sunday and I'm pretty sure this is the first food they've gotten.

She's a BIT easier to handle. I may try it, but I don't really have a good helper (hubby only wants to eat the bunnies, he wasn't nothing else to do with them.).

Everyone seems stronger tonight, we'll see what the morning brings.

3 days... it is a bit long for it to take for her milk to come in. It can take that long, though. Glad they seem a little stronger. Fingers and toes crossed here! :clover:

Lost three of them over night, I'm going to do the humane thing with the other three today. I think I waited too long to step in. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Tegan":2ynqxkfd said:
Lost three of them over night, I'm going to do the humane thing with the other three today. I think I waited too long to step in. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Well, you gave it your best shot{{{hugs}}} Sorry for your loss... :(

Latest posts

Back