Going on vacation.. advice?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stemnyj

Reaction score
We're going on vacation for about a week. Although we have arranged for someone to come by and feed the dogs & cats, as well as feed and water BunBun and change out his litter, I don't think she's going to have time to let BunBun out of his cage daily, so he's gonna be stuck in there for a while. Also, I seriously doubt she'll be stopping by more than once a day.

Luckily he's in a rather large cage - a kennel made for a large-breed dog. He can hop around, as well as fully stand up on his hind legs, but he gets a little antsy just being in there for 12 hours straight. And when he gets antsy, he throws around his food bowl and makes a mess of his litter.

He has two toys in there now - a tennis ball from Petsmart and this hanging toy with shapes on it, but I've never really seen him play with them much in his cage. In fact, the ball usually ends up in his litter box.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best keep him entertained while we're gone? Any special kind of toys, or should I leave some music playing on a low volume?

Also, are there auto-feeders that he won't be able to easily knock over? Since our "petsitter" will only be coming by once a day, I don't want him to run out of food or lose it all when he gets upset and throws his food bowl.

My rabbits like two whiffle balls connected by a shower curtain ring. You can buy both at the Dollar Store, and have plenty of replacements if he chews them up. Empty tin cans are great toys too. Just be sure to crimp any sharp edges. I like to cut both ends off and stuff with hay. When the hay is gone they will fling the can around, push it with their nose, pull it under them with their front feet, etc. Old phone books are great entertainment also- he will shred it and make a huge mess. ;)

For feeding, you could use a plastic bowl or tuna can and poke a couple of holes in it and secure to the cage wire with a zip tie or wire.

One thing that does keep my rabbits entertained is hay or sticks as they can chew on it aaaalll day.
I am sure there are automatic watering etc I don't know of any as I do it all by hand but you could try glass bowls or the double ones that have 2 sides but in one type thing mine never dump them:).
Hope that helps

I installed an automatic water system. You can make a simple one which I did for one cage by using a empty cat litter bucket with lid. Drill a hole in the bucket near the bottom and install a bulkhead (Lowes carries these)
add some pvc pipe, a tee and automatic drip valve (available at Bass Equipment for $3.25) add water and your set to go or you can by a kit from them already set up.

stemnyj":hkqkkv8k said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best keep him entertained while we're gone?
Yes,
Get him a mate and he fill have a blast.

Andrei":12vfooqc said:
stemnyj":12vfooqc said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best keep him entertained while we're gone?
Yes,
Get him a mate and he fill have a blast.

Unless she gets fed up with his ceaseless attentions and castrates him. It's not uncommon when rabbits are left together in a cage where they can't get away from each other. Please don't take Andrei's suggestion seriously.

My rabbits love a toy that I make with a toilet paper roll. You stuff one end with hay then fill it with sweets and stuff it with hay so they have to throw it around and tear it up to get the sweets out.

Another is to get a brown paper bag and punch holes in it and stuff hay in it the hang it from the top of the cage. My rabbits play with it for hours.

The get a strong cardboard box and cut a hole in it so they can go in and out. Make sure that it is strong so they can go on top of it.
There is metal feeders that hang from the wire that will last a rabbit for about 5 days. Or just get a ceramic cat bowl from petco which is pretty hard for them to toss around.

Have fun on your vacation!!!

My Boris has an empty tuna can and a chunk of apple wood in it. He tosses it around until the wood is out of his precious can. When I go to feed him, I right the can and put the wood back in. After he checks out his food, and I am walking away, I hear the can being tossed around. It always makes me smile.

My Dutch have golf balls and tuna cans. They push them around. They also have chunks of wood to chew on.

Latest posts

Back