goat owners - help, please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinnia

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
My very best kid this year, Ida is being suckled on by another kid!!! :furious:

Her teats have been a bit more pink and longer that the rest of the kids, so I've suspected something was going on. Sure enough we caught Sophia and Seraphina trying to suckle. Ida just walked away, so she doesn't actually allow it, but there's enough stretching on those teats to make me nervous.

I haven't had this happen with a doe before. Will she be fine as an adult? I know with my Jersey heifers, it can be a problem so I watch carefully.

Advice?

I've never had that happen - ears, yes, teats, no - so I would separate her from the other kids. As long as it stops, I wouldn't expect any permanent damage or problems as she's young and should heal up just fine.

I hope it will be fine. Separating is really difficult, though. All the doe kids are still nursing and moms are all very much a pack. I am going to see what I can do. Ida just happens to be WAY taller than the other kids, so I guess she looks like a mama to them. :|

We lost a miniature mare once, that had a yearling suck a huge hole in the side of her udder! We noticed she was swollen and had a horrible infection.
By the time we found out it was to late. We never ever thought of that happening.
I would get them separated or put some bitter apple on her udder to discourage that right away.

I don't think we ever had that happen. hmm... I guess try to find something the goats don't like the taste of to put on her to discourage it. weird.

Thanks for asking asking, Susie. When we caught the twins nursing, we tapped them on the nose (lightly, but... you know... they were surprised, so made the association). We did this again the next time we watched for it. It has been a couple of days and we see that Ida's teats are no longer extra pink and really are normal looking again. They were never that different, just slightly so. I suspect it hadn't been going on too long, and for a few seconds at a time, when it did, as Ida would walk away. So, I HOPE the issue is over. But we will be continuing to watch carefully.

So, we never did try the bitter apple, because by the time my husband got home with our only vehicle, the vet was closed.

Latest posts

Back