goat kids born this afternoon

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Dora, our alpine goat, had her kids this afternoon. Took her longer than our other does--this was her second kidding but her first with us. But she didn't need any help and the kids, both doelings, were on their feet and getting a drink in short order. I was thinking how much messier the birthing is with the goats--and that it took her a couple hours from our first seeing a head to both of them being born. With the rabbits, I check a doe and no kits, come back in less than an hour and there are 8 or even 11. But at least with the goats I can see that they are getting fed. And can see that Dora has lots of milk--may have to milk a little out this evening. With the rabbits, it's frustrating not to be able to see the kits getting fed, not understanding what is the problem when some kits aren't getting full. All the babies are so much fun to watch.

Attachments

• IMG_8630.jpg
    IMG_8630.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,040
My goodness, those are beautiful doelings! I just wanna hug 'em.

Congrats!

akane":2ytngwsy said:
I am not allowed to look at baby goats.

I hear ya. Goats are next on our "to do" list, and I keep going back and forth...Nubians...alpines...lamanchas. Which I lean towards seems to be depending on which breed I last saw cute baby pictures of.

Ahhh this gets me all excited. My own Nigerian dwarf is due to kid soon (at the end of this month). It will be her first kidding and my first kidding as well. :pinkbunny:

akane":2g3vl8vk said:
dignity_laugh_by_roblnhood.gif

How are they doing now? Bigger, I'm sure XP

Marinea":37i05l99 said:
akane":37i05l99 said:

I hear ya. Goats are next on our "to do" list, and I keep going back and forth...Nubians...alpines...lamanchas. Which I lean towards seems to be depending on which breed I last saw cute baby pictures of.
I love love love lamanchas. Once you go no ears you can't go back.

But the eat too much, and I'd opt for the mini breeds. They produce less milk but they are more efficient in terms of feed than the big ones. And when they jump on the rabbit cages they cause less bending
Ugh.

Back