Goat kid watch thread *5 New Kids born May 1st!*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audrey

Reaction score
I raise nigerian dwarf goats, and have 6 pregnant does this year. Two are due in 3 weeks, the other are spread out till the end of May. I am super excited, because I kept 2 bucks to of last years kids to be my herd sires, and this will be their first kid crops!

First up is Pepper, the first kid born here, and her mom Fae, both due the 29- 1stish. I think Pepper will go a few days early, and Fae will go late. I am so jealous of my neighbors because their ewe lambed tonight. These next 3 weeks are going to just drag on for me!

Pepper

Baby Daddy Mace

Fae

Baby daddy Salt, with Ser. Bun today, future baby daddy of bunnies Lol.

Then at the end of April is Poit, and the first week of May Honey and Ke$ha. End of May Saffie is due.

Salt is the sire of Poit and Ke$ha's kids

Ke$ha

Mace is the sire of Honey and Saffie's kids

Honey

Saffie

Nice goats! Or I should also say nice pics too. I'm picturing you wandering around with your camera taking pics of goats.

Just like the rest of us, taking pictures of bunnies, and whatnot...

:) Thank you! It is for sure a great way to relax and enjoy everything I work so hard for! I basically do just wander around, follow the goats after I let them out, and then head out to see if the horses are doing anything worth taking pictures of. I already have enough pictures of them eating LOL.

I know very little about goats, never having had the chance to live in the country, but like looking at photos and reading about them.

What is the usual "function" of Nigerian Dwarf goats? Are they dairy/cheese goats? They look as if they might (also?) be fiber goats, even if they aren't Angoras, with those semi-long coats. Or is their primary function as groundskeepers/weed-eaters and general pets? :D

thx

Nigerian dwarfs are a dairy breed. THeir milk has the highest fat content, so its especially great for making cheese and soaps. They are also great pets, and great for urban farming because of their size. They max out at around 24" at the withers. Being goats, they are always dual purpose for meat too. The nigerians do shed out a bit of felt in the spring, but in general, they aren't a fiber breed. They are just in their full on winter woollies right now Lol.

Beautiful pictures, and beautiful goats!
I hope you have some nice babies soon, and that everything goes smoothly:)
Please post baby pics when they are born......there is nothing cuter than baby goats!!!
On a completely unrelated note, I used to live very near Lacomb, Oregon. Those pictures remind me of home!
10 years ago we could have been neighbors! :D

Thats so crazy, I know tons of people that live in this state have never heard of Lacomb! LOL. This summer will be my 10th year here, maybe we were neighbors LOL! I live on ford mill rd :)

Thanks for the well wishes, its always so nerve wracking!! I for sure will post baby goat pictures!!

I raise nigerians too! :cool: My one doe looks like Pepper, buckskins are really common :)

Congratulations on the impending flood of baby goats! Kids are so adorable, and I know how hard it is to wait for them to be born. I hope you get some that look like Fae!

I used to have Nigerian cross goats, and they drove me crazy. I couldn't walk outside without them bleating incessantly, wanting food even if they had some. We were having a discussion about goats here on RT and someone mentioned that that is typical of Nigerians- they always act like they are starving. :? Have you found that to be the case?

One of my bucks is noisy, but I think thats just him being a buck, but my other one is very quiet. My does never make a peep. Nubians on the other hand, now that is a noisy breed! They also sound a lot like a woman being murdered Lol. My neighbor has 2 of them and some crosses, they make horrible sounds! Lol.

I know :D I have seen you on TGS LOL. I of course had to do a ton of goat research before getting into them, and then once I got some a couple years ago, I suddenly felt I had to interact with other people who loved goats as much as I found out I did LOL!

Audrey what is your user name on TGS? Is it the same? I've not been on much. It's gotten too big and there are too many members that kind of band together. I don't post often enough to be one of "the cool kids". lol

Yes, same name, I am not smart enough to remember different screen names, so I Just use my real name LOL! I only stick to a few of the forums there, health, waiting room, and management mostly. I didnt know there was a cool kid clique on there LOL!

__________ Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:59 pm __________

__________ Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:58 pm __________

__________ Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:59 pm __________

We are getting very close to having adorable goat babies running around! Pepper is 5 days away from her first breeding date, due date! Shes showing all the right signs of going within this week for sure, so that is very exciting!
Wide load!

Honey relaxing, I have a feeling shes going to have all bucks this year

Ke$ha sleeping in this morning
<br /><br /> __________ Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:00 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh my gosh, this is annoying! It keeps adding my new post as an edit to my last post from a week ago!

...and the countdown continues! :p

:popcorn:

Audrey":bfsrmvew said:
Oh my gosh, this is annoying! It keeps adding my new post as an edit to my last post from a week ago!

If nobody else has posted after you, when you post again it appears as an edit.

I know! I am so excited! And Oh ok, that makes sense then about the posts, I thought I had broke the internet LOL!

Audrey":71uux584 said:
I know! I am so excited!

I know the anticipation must be killing you- goats are prego for a lot longer than rabbits!

Audrey":71uux584 said:
I thought I had broke the internet LOL!

Oh, no... that's MY job! :roll:

The worst is horses, 11 months to wait! Only 5 months with goats. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> Sadly, I found one of my does, Poit, dead this morning. She was of course, my favorite goat, and I was of course, the most excited about her kids. Thankfully, I think she had a heart attack, went in her sleep :(

Back