Glowing Bunny Born in Turkey

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMTex

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Glow in the dark bunnies. I want some. :)

http://news.discovery.com/animals/pets/ ... 130813.htm

dnews-files-2013-08-glow-bunny-video-jpg.jpg

The video says nothing about rabbits, and I for one find this hard to believe. Looks Photoshopped to me! :lol:

Reading the linked article in the OP's post, the phosphorescent quality is visible only under ultraviolet (UV) light. Looking at the animal (rabbit, cat, etc.) under regular light, it would be impossible to know that it's been tampered with.

These are "transgenic" animals, i.e., they've had genes from completely different forms of life inserted into their genome. In this case, jellyfish. Again, according to the linked article, certain proteins are also visible under UV light, so there's a connection between the presence of those proteins and the glowing quality of the rabbit/cat/etc.

Myself, genetic engineering like this "just because we can" opens too many cans of worms when the corresponding questions like "should we?" and "what will the ultimate fate of the animals be?" aren't answered before "Just because we can" becomes "Let's do it." :(

Gene therapy technologies in humans would not be possible without this science.

The glowing gene was attached to a gene the scientists are actually interested in studying. It wasn't a question of - 'just for fun, let's see if we can make glowing animals :D'

This technology is called 'tagging' and is utilized so we can literally see how an inserted gene is expressed and that it took, likely the scientists attempted to splice the gene into the entire litter, but as you can see, only two actually got it inserted correctly, there would be no way of knowing without the glow tag added.

It really was a brilliant idea

Stuff like this is amazing. While it may not have any usefulness on it own (other than cool) the knowledge gained will no doubt be hugely beneficial in the future. It is a wonderful stepping stone.

Dood":eit3grpu said:
Gene therapy technologies in humans would not be possible without this science.
And then there are those of us who are really disturbed by gene therapy. Science is really nothing but alchemy, and we're ignoring all the laws of it.

Science is really nothing but alchemy
al·che·my
/ˈalkəmē/
Noun
1) The medieval forerunner of chemistry, based on the supposed transformation of matter, esp. that of base metals into gold.
2) A process by which paradoxical results are achieved or incompatible elements combined with no obvious rational explanation.

I don't think this is a reasonable comparison at all.

However, I agree that gene therapy is scary but that was just one example of how this technology is being used to help humanity.

"How a Jellyfish protein transformed science" - http://m.livescience.com/16752-gfp-prot ... nigms.html

Green Fluorescent Protein - Scroll down to Applications - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_fl ... nt_protein

Dood":hsegaqsc said:
I don't think this is a reasonable comparison at all.
I didn't for a long time, either. However, lately science has been embarking down that disturbing road of "creating life", which was strictly verboten by alchemy (and pretty much every "craft"). It seems as if 14th century alchemists have evolved into modern day chemists, and ignored all the rules their forefathers set.

However, I agree that gene therapy is scary but that was just one example of how this technology is being used to help humanity.
I don't see it as helpful. A friend was involved in a project to create glow in the dark "paint" from similar cells, again, to test expression. It was kind of cool, at first, but on a deeper level it's highly unsettling that we're engineering lifeforms in the name of science.

Not that I'm a "science denier" or anything of the sort - I just see us heading in a direction heavily laced with the law of unintended consequences. We're not advanced enough to know what we don't know, and leave certain things be. A glow-light bunny is pretty cool, but it's also highly unsettling.

RJSchaefer":3g6v931n said:
And then there are those of us who are really disturbed by gene therapy. Science is really nothing but alchemy, and we're ignoring all the laws of it.

... lately science has been embarking down that disturbing road of "creating life", which was strictly verboten by alchemy (and pretty much every "craft"). It seems as if 14th century alchemists have evolved into modern day chemists, and ignored all the rules their forefathers set.

You're talking in circles. At first, you say that science is alchemy and then you say that modern science is doing stuff forbidden by alchemy.

A friend was involved in a project to create glow in the dark "paint" from similar cells, again, to test expression. It was kind of cool, at first, but on a deeper level it's highly unsettling that we're engineering lifeforms in the name of science.

Not that I'm a "science denier" or anything of the sort - I just see us heading in a direction heavily laced with the law of unintended consequences. We're not advanced enough to know what we don't know, and leave certain things be. A glow-light bunny is pretty cool, but it's also highly unsettling.

Using a single instance of something that you deem disturbing doesn't equate science with alchemy either.

You're exploiting the results of science every day. If you cook your food, use any kind of transportation other than walking, take any medication, etc. I know you said you're not a "science denier" but you pretty much did just that.

Targeted therapy is showing great promise in the medical field. It's just targeting certain cells, such as cancer, with medicines that can attack bad cells while leaving normal cells alone. There's nothing suggesting an attempt to create a new life form here.

lately science has been embarking down that disturbing road of "creating life"
I think you're a bit out of the loop.

Humans have been genetically engineering life forms since the 1970's and people have been experimenting with (and ingesting) GMO bacteria, archea, protista and fungi for over 40 years.

For some reason people have a problem with science 'tweaking' the higher life forms.

Dood":wrasnkk7 said:
lately science has been embarking down that disturbing road of "creating life"
I think you're a bit out of the loop.

Humans have been genetically engineering life forms since the 1970's and people have been experimenting with (and ingesting) GMO bacteria, archea, protista and fungi for over 40 years.

For some reason people have a problem with science 'tweaking' the higher life forms.
I used the term "lately" in a general cosmic sense. 40 years on a scale of several billion is "lately".

Allow me to try to phrase it this way: there are many things science cannot currently explain. Why does a carb restricted diet slow the growth of one type of cancer, accelerate the growth of another, and have no effect on a dozen others? What causes cluster heachaches? What IS chronic fatigue syndrome? How can you even begin to work on a therapy that alters the genome when you don't entirely understand how it operates?

RJSchaefer":1blgeqzr said:
How can you even begin to work on a therapy that alters the genome when you don't entirely understand how it operates?

I think I answered that one already. It's because...Glow In The Dark Bunnies! :D

Latest posts

Back