GI stasis-like disease in rare rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoftPawsRabbitry

Reaction score
I am 90% sure the mice are causing this, but I lost a little champagne doe to what I believed was normal GI stasis, thought not too much of it, she was orphaned at 5 weeks refused the KMR and my Flemish rejected her (surprisingly for that doe) and so I continued on with life, I was confused with the doe rejection, but I thought maybe she could tell she was sick. A week later and literally overnight, my doe is a skeleton, shes bloated and it feels like she swallowed golf balls, couldn't eliminate waste, a long time breeder told me we shouldn't euthanize her, let it run its course in case it's a cancer or worms or something.(it was such. a hard decision and we did all we possibly could- she was my baby) She passed 2 days later, and we dissected her (another very hard to do event) to find her organs were completely healthy, her bowels were functioning, she had fully formed feces, she had a full stomach of food, no blockage up or down the entire tract, even to the anus, but she couldnt re absorb her cecotropes or even pass waste. Now 4 of her kits are showing signs in different stages, and a doe within a HOUR of checking her stomach is now extremely bloated and her weight dropped, what in the world causes this?!

Here is the Stages I've observed:

Stage 1: almost feels like a 2 week pregnant doe, firm sides but not protruding, I feel their spines a bit more prominent (my rabbits are very well fed, honestly borderline on becoming fat)

Stage 2: stomach begins to extend, rabbit may be laying down in a different position from being uncomfortable, still pooping

Stage 3: still eating, but less. Poops retain normal size, but they dont poop as often.

Stage 4: stops eating and pooping, doesnt act lethargic and still drinking, may stop peeing or it may be a lot less (50/50)

Stage 5 (within a few hours of stage 4): extremely bloated, depending on rabbit, eyes sink back in head, fur may fall off body in clumps, pee is thick and smells extremely strong, lethargy, loud teeth grinding, skin hanging loose on the rabbit

This takes about a 4 day course before the rabbit gives in. I have lost 3 and have 4 following suit, I checked the feed, they havent gotten anything new within 2 months, the hay and pellets arent moldy and no other farm animals or the other rabbits have caught it yet.

A fellow breeder of exotic breeds had half her stock wiped out by this, and thinks it may be a virus since it rampaged through her lilacs silver fox and Belgians, but her new zealands were fine, if you've had similar experiences PLEASE share it or cures! It's a matter of time for my rabbitry, I attached a photo of my poor, poor sweet doe not even 5 minutes before I came back to find she passed, and one a day before (with the pedialyte and oats) (also please note she doesnt live on a dirty floor, I let her wander as much as I could get her to walk to try and stimulate her gut and keep her relaxed)

Attachments

• 20210803_164252.jpg
    20210803_164252.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210802_160406.jpg
    20210802_160406.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I don't know if it helps or not but I found that, if its possible to do with a sick rabbit, to put it on the ground with lots of space to move freely. If its a doe adding a buck to the mix helps as he will pester her into moving and keep her moving. Several times I had rabbits recover that I had given up on.

So sorry for your difficulties, rabbits can be so difficult sometimes.

I am 90% sure the mice are causing this, but I lost a little champagne doe to what I believed was normal GI stasis, thought not too much of it, she was orphaned at 5 weeks refused the KMR and my Flemish rejected her (surprisingly for that doe) and so I continued on with life, I was confused with the doe rejection, but I thought maybe she could tell she was sick. A week later and literally overnight, my doe is a skeleton, shes bloated and it feels like she swallowed golf balls, couldn't eliminate waste, a long time breeder told me we shouldn't euthanize her, let it run its course in case it's a cancer or worms or something.(it was such. a hard decision and we did all we possibly could- she was my baby) She passed 2 days later, and we dissected her (another very hard to do event) to find her organs were completely healthy, her bowels were functioning, she had fully formed feces, she had a full stomach of food, no blockage up or down the entire tract, even to the anus, but she couldnt re absorb her cecotropes or even pass waste. Now 4 of her kits are showing signs in different stages, and a doe within a HOUR of checking her stomach is now extremely bloated and her weight dropped, what in the world causes this?!

Here is the Stages I've observed:

Stage 1: almost feels like a 2 week pregnant doe, firm sides but not protruding, I feel their spines a bit more prominent (my rabbits are very well fed, honestly borderline on becoming fat)

Stage 2: stomach begins to extend, rabbit may be laying down in a different position from being uncomfortable, still pooping

Stage 3: still eating, but less. Poops retain normal size, but they dont poop as often.

Stage 4: stops eating and pooping, doesnt act lethargic and still drinking, may stop peeing or it may be a lot less (50/50)

Stage 5 (within a few hours of stage 4): extremely bloated, depending on rabbit, eyes sink back in head, fur may fall off body in clumps, pee is thick and smells extremely strong, lethargy, loud teeth grinding, skin hanging loose on the rabbit

This takes about a 4 day course before the rabbit gives in. I have lost 3 and have 4 following suit, I checked the feed, they havent gotten anything new within 2 months, the hay and pellets arent moldy and no other farm animals or the other rabbits have caught it yet.

A fellow breeder of exotic breeds had half her stock wiped out by this, and thinks it may be a virus since it rampaged through her lilacs silver fox and Belgians, but her new zealands were fine, if you've had similar experiences PLEASE share it or cures! It's a matter of time for my rabbitry, I attached a photo of my poor, poor sweet doe not even 5 minutes before I came back to find she passed, and one a day before (with the pedialyte and oats) (also please note she doesnt live on a dirty floor, I let her wander as much as I could get her to walk to try and stimulate her gut and keep her relaxed)
Update: the liquid bloat treatment medication for cattle and sheep actually cured the kit that was closest to death, I used .1 cc every 12 hours 3 times, then another dose after 24. Make sure the rabbit has water since it's a sodium though! The rest of the rabbits showing symptoms also turned around after a single treatment

Latest posts

Back