GI and Pee issues

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LatchawBriarPatch

Reaction score
Hi,
I have owned my Rex buck for a week. Being new to rabbits I didn't think anything of it when he started spraying yellow and cream colored pee everywhere. I was stupid and didn't get him transition feed, so mostly just relied on an abundance of hay to get him through. He was born in April 2020 so I didn't think he'd have too many issues.

I gave him a cardboard box to play with a few days in. He loved it and ate a good portion of the box. Hopped up on top of it. Anyways, that day either he was stuck up on top of the box or all the cardboard messed with his tummy and he didn't eat much if at all that day. He also got the underside of his tail dirty that day. Next day his berries had no structural integrity. Just green mush. I took away the box and the day after that he was just fine. So I figured we were out of the woods with GI stuff and doing fine! Yay!

However, This morning he had a puddle of pee that looked gelatinous. After browsing around on here, I gave him AVC water and garlic sprouts. Looks like he may have sludge issues or urinary something? On top of that. When I checked on him this evening He ate the sprouts, but he’s hardly touched his pellets or hay all day. Any ideas on what else I can do to help him out? He seems pretty stressed out, so I'm trying to give him his space. If I massage his belly, is the stress of my picking him up and handling him going to outway any good the massage would do? Should I try to find his original feed and get him back on eating it even though he has been eating my pellets for a week?
Any help would be appreciated. TIA

On another note, I have noticed the pellets (Mana Pro Complete Pellets) I'm feeding have quite a bit of dust in them, but I have those feeders with the holes under to let that all fall through. Does that eliminate the problem or do I need to get better feed? He also might be molting and overwheight? He has rolls of skin on his butt and legs. Sorry for the long post.
Thank you,
From Down a Rabbit hole, obsessing over how to help him. ;)

Hi,
I have owned my Rex buck for a week. Being new to rabbits I didn't think anything of it when he started spraying yellow and cream colored pee everywhere. I was stupid and didn't get him transition feed, so mostly just relied on an abundance of hay to get him through. He was born in April 2020 so I didn't think he'd have too many issues.

I gave him a cardboard box to play with a few days in. He loved it and ate a good portion of the box. Hopped up on top of it. Anyways, that day either he was stuck up on top of the box or all the cardboard messed with his tummy and he didn't eat much if at all that day. He also got the underside of his tail dirty that day. Next day his berries had no structural integrity. Just green mush. I took away the box and the day after that he was just fine. So I figured we were out of the woods with GI stuff and doing fine! Yay!

However, This morning he had a puddle of pee that looked gelatinous. After browsing around on here, I gave him AVC water and garlic sprouts. Looks like he may have sludge issues or urinary something? On top of that. When I checked on him this evening He ate the sprouts, but he’s hardly touched his pellets or hay all day. Any ideas on what else I can do to help him out? He seems pretty stressed out, so I'm trying to give him his space. If I massage his belly, is the stress of my picking him up and handling him going to outway any good the massage would do? Should I try to find his original feed and get him back on eating it even though he has been eating my pellets for a week?
Any help would be appreciated. TIA

On another note, I have noticed the pellets (Mana Pro Complete Pellets) I'm feeding have quite a bit of dust in them, but I have those feeders with the holes under to let that all fall through. Does that eliminate the problem or do I need to get better feed? He also might be molting and overwheight? He has rolls of skin on his butt and legs. Sorry for the long post.
Thank you,
From Down a Rabbit hole, obsessing over how to help him. ;)
He's all good. :)

Back