Getting slammed with -10 degree temps

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctchinman

Reaction score
Just wanted some advice I am getting 10-18 inches of snow along with - 10 degree temps for the next few nights. Question is will my rabbits be ok in these temps? My rabbitry is a shed I built with no heat, or electricity. They are in hanging cages so the best I could do was throw some old sleeping bags over them So the floors of the cages are still open do you think that they will be ok?

They will be fine. We see -30F every year. Barely phased the rabbits. They tuck their ears a little tighter and aren't as active but as long as they are out of the wind they survive it with no trouble. There's a few people who keep rabbits in unheated buildings in alaska as well. Someone once listed their temp at -50. The only thing I've ever heard of happening is ear frostbite on lops who can't tuck their ears to their body.

I have been giving mine extra food but we have had below zero for basically over a month straight.

I stuffed my outside hutches with straw, and covered them with two layers of heavy gauge plastic (still plenty of ventilation though) I don't expect much trouble from it. Changing out the water bottle constantly is the real issue.

I play the switch game with the water bottles . . . in the morning I give the water bottle, in the evening I give a crock and take the water bottle in to thaw . . . I stuffed the outside hutches with straw and set up a tarp wind block that leaves the side that doesn't get direct wind open and partially blocks the front so there is less breeze. It's dropping below zero most of next week here . . .

Thanks everyone! So far so good they are all doing awesome. I also do the switch game with my water bottles. I swap them out twice a day. I am also giving them extra pellets and a little BOSS. It was -15 last night with 30 MPH winds and it's supposed to be -12 tonight, Cant wait for this weather to push on!

I have been worrying about the same thing. It's been down to -8 a few weeks ago(scared me so that I brought all 7 buns into basement for a FEW DAYS and had to get very creative about temporary cages) Now they are back outside and it's gone from -1 to teens at night for the last week. This is new to me. We use to live in Ga. but moved to NC mountain last summer. So far bunnies are fine. I maybe went overboard and cover cages with several blanket, added 2 litter bottles filled with warm water and tarped around whole rabbit enclosure. I'm so releaved to hear some of you live in very cold climates and buns are fine.
This site has been so helpful :)

Back