Getting more involved in showing.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equestrian<3

Reaction score
I would love to get more involved in showing, but I am not sure how. I have done a local fair show and my Holland Lop buck got 2nd place and I plan on doing it again this year, but that is the only show I know of. I am not sure who to contact/where to find out where local shows are.

I would also love to know more about what is required in showing. I know the breeds standards for HL's, but does it depend on the judge? Does it matter that I only have one rabbit and I am not a breeder nor intend to be? Is it very time consuming/costly? How competitive is it? Is the judging based on conformation, coat, health? My rabbit is quite a handful to handle, so would a judge take of points if he/she had trouble handling the rabbit?

Just being curious :)
:bunnyhop:

equestrian<3":2bx9wl4b said:
I would love to get more involved in showing, but I am not sure how. I have done a local fair show and my Holland Lop buck got 2nd place and I plan on doing it again this year, but that is the only show I know of. I am not sure who to contact/where to find out where local shows are.

The ARBA website has a page which will help you to locate upcoming shows in your area, complete with email and phone numbers of the show secretaries:

http://arba.net/showsSearch.php#showsearch

I would also love to know more about what is required in showing. I know the breeds standards for HL's, but does it depend on the judge?

Sadly enough, yest it does differ from judge to judge. Most show sites these days have multiple shows in the same day judged by different judges, and there are literally different rabbits winning in each show. The last show I attended, my white satin buck won BOS in each of the first 2 shows, only to win BOB in the third show, picked by the same judge who had just picked the Siamese Satin as BIS in the 2nd show.

Judges don't ever admit it, but there are judges out there who do not like certain breeds and it shows in the way they pick everything from classes to BOB and BOS, and ultimately in BIS. I have just about made up my mind to begin avoiding shows where a couple of judges are slated to be judging.

Does it matter that I only have one rabbit and I am not a breeder nor intend to be?

Nope. The Satin Specialty show I attended in central KS in March was won by an exhibitor with a Copper, and it was the only rabbit he brought.

Is it very time consuming/costly? How competitive is it?

It should be and often is, in both categories.

Is the judging based on conformation, coat, health?

By the standard, they should be, but again it depends upon the judge.

My rabbit is quite a handful to handle, so would a judge take of points if he/she had trouble handling the rabbit?

It's an unwritten rule with most judges to lean more heavily toward a better behaved rabbit.

Just being curious :)
:bunnyhop:

No worries, as the only stupid question you will EVER ask any of us is the one you NEVER ask any of us. We all started somewhere.

Ok, thank you so much! :D I have also emailed the breeder i bought my rabbit from and asked for help on some problems I am having and hope to get them fixed before I start showing. I also asked him about local shows and what not :)

Another thing, show prepping? I show horses and before a show, you always make them as pretty as possible. Right now I am growing out my 3 year old's mane and tail and hope to have her mane past her shoulder and her tail dragging on the ground come show season. There is also a multitude of shampoo's, conditioners, coat shining sprays, detangler's, hoof polishes, ect. that you use to get them looking their best. Is there this kind of stuff for rabbits? Are there tricks you can do to make their coat shiny or things like that?

Doing anything to "enhance" your rabbit can get you banned from the show, which includes clipping to mask faults and putting conditioners on the coat. You can use a grooming stone to remove loose hairs, and water to reduce static but anything other then that isn't allowed.

ETA: You can feed supplements to get them into show shape.

Ok, thank you! What is a good...weight? Do judges prefer a nice plump rabbit or a more trim rabbit? Or does it depend on the judge?

Weight depends on the breed standard for Holland Lops I believe the Max weight is 4lbs (but I could be wrong I don't have a standard on hand)

You want your rabbit to be in good condition, you don't want to feel the bones poking out but you don't want them to be fat either.

Ok thank you! I checked out the ARBA website and there is a show next week, but I don't think I will be ready for it. I plan on just going to get a feel for it. There is one next month, which is what I will aim for. What do the judges do? Just go around and look at the rabbit? Do you have to present the rabbit or does the judge just take it out of the cage and look at it?

There is a judging table where all entries are judged against other rabbits in their class when their class is called (i.e., jr & sr doe, jr & sr buck). The winners in each class go up for best of variety, the winners of each variety go for best of breed, then all the respective BOB's go for best in show. There will likely be 2-3 shows in the same day at that show site, so don't let it confuse you.

Also, get a small spray bottle, rinse it out and fill it with water, then begin prepping your rabbit for the show. It's as simple as spraying the rabbit's coat with a light layer of water, then rubbing the coat until it is dry. You will likely need to rub your hands together occasionally during the process to get rid of excess hair that comes off in your hands. Right now, I'm prepping my rabbits on a daily basis in order to get ready for a couple of shows at the end of this month. It takes 5-10 minutes per rabbit, but is well worth the effort IMHO.

Enter your rabbit in the show. The worst thing that could happen is to not win the class, but you'll learn much more by entering than you ever will by observing because you'll be more attentive to what the judges are looking for as they judge your rabbit against its "peers". Reach out to the other breeders and try to learn as much as you can from them, while avoiding anyone who doesn't seem to want to mess with you. Remember the old line: "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Most of the breeders are going to be helpful, so go, enter, and enjoy yourself.

Just wondering, what is the purpose of the spray bottle with water? To get rid of excess hair?

That's primarily what it will do for you. The key is not to soak the rabbit but just put a light mist onto its coat, then work it dry as I described above. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much a difference something as simple as a routine rubdown will do for the appearance of not only the coat, but also for the rabbit it sits on.

Back