Getting awfully hot in South Louisiana

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beekeeper10

Reaction score
I am having trouble with a nursing doe that has 6, 2 week old kits. I went out to check on them about 3 o'clock and she was in the nest box with her nose pushed up in the upper right corner. It was 97 degrees at the time. I took her out of the nest box and took the nest box out of the cage. She then started to nervously run around the cage running over her kits in the process. I then took her out and put her in another cage to keep the kits from being injured. She would not settle down so I ended up bringing her in the house and I put her in a carrying cage to help her get cooled off. She seems to have cooled off now. I guess I will bring her back out late this afternoon.
The kits seem to be doing fine outside. The rest of my rabbits seem to be doing fine.
I am afraid to put frozen water bottles in the cage with her and the kits. I am afraid the doe might roll the water bottle over the kits. Do you all think I should bring the kits in next time and then give the doe a frozen water bottle? It is forecast to be this hot through the week end. I have three fans going under the shed and a good breeze blowing through it. It doesn't seem that hot in my rabbitry. I was just barely sweating.
I was planning on going to the Longview, TX show this week end but with it being this hot, I cancelled.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tommy

Some fruit beverages come in square plastic bottles. It might be worth buying a couple bottles so you have something that doesn't roll. In the meantime, a spray bottle with plain water to wet down the buns really helps. Concentrate on their ears, since the veins in the ears help to cool the rabbit. And all over, aim the mist just above the rabbit and let it drift down on her. It really helps a lot!

you could wire an ice bottle to the side of the cage. That way she can't roll it onto the babies.

Latest posts

Back