German Shepherd (ish?) pups...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(Argh. Tried cropping ODD out in PB, evidently it had a field day with that. That is not at all what they looked like when I saved it!)

We were the first ones at church today, and look what we found in the flower bed :in_love: :evil:

We live out in the country and are prone to random drop offs - one night someone did it right in front of us with a kitten! Not only did they dump it and drive off, but they didn't even have the decency to put it on the side of the road... it was set on the middle line!! :furious: It ran off, we never did find it. We caught one guy who tried to play it off, and ended up just driving off - later saw the dog he was trying to coax out of his truck dead on the side of the road just a mile or so past the house :cry: .

I am guessing German Shepherd mixes?? Or maybe even full? I have no idea - I don't know much about the breed. We know a guy across the road has 2 so we checked with his son - he said they were looking for 2 pups and wants to come check them out. I took that as, they want new dogs for them, DH thinks they lost 2. Wouldn't make sense though since there are 3 of them. They are horribly sweet pups though, which makes me want to keep one, but I know we can't... and very young still. We're softening food for them and they were extremely thirsty when we got them home. All 3 have colorings that match GS labels, so who knows. I thought for sure mixes since two were long haired and one short, but I guess you can have both long and short haired GS so who knows. ODD was trying to help get pics, not the best, but oh well. :roll:

This one looks like a teddy bear to me:

This is ODS's favorite... DH's cousin wants him:

This is my favorite and he's taken up with ODS's current pup - she's not too sure of him though:

We have them in a penned area out back, out of the range of the other two dog's collars. I wish I knew what was going to happen with our 9 1/2 year old dog. We know we'll replace her with another larger dog, but who knows when that will be... Had we found a home for the one dog we currently have (the stray we brought home from the church last year :roll: - she's a bit too moody and not physically able to handle our kids because of a sore hip, unfortunately - we though spaying her would help, but it hasn't), I am sure it would be more tempting.

The dark ones look more like Rottweiler to me, maybe a shepherd/rottweiler mix. Wouldn't be a bad thing, the Rottweilers I know are among the nicest personalities I've seen in dogs, german shepherds - not so much. But I'm no expert on dogs, and personalities sure for a great part depend on the breeding lines, I guess.

Those look like perfect farm mutts if raised properly! Like Preitler said maybe shep/rott mixes. I have a gsd and she's pretty good. I have a rotty mix that lives outside (protection dog) and you could give him a newborn child to tend. He only eats ducks. lol Both good farm dogs.

They look ish... GSD and Rotts look pretty close for a while as pups, it's the same bloodlines way back. They look pretty much just like my last group of puppies. I raise Sables. And I had two long hair ones in a litter a few years ago.

For Sure a GSD mix of some sort. The black and tan has the same colorings as my youngest GSD, but she had the coat of the sable. She is a long coated Shepherd. In her litter, 2 werelong coat, and 3 were standard.

Cute pups. They should have no problem finding a home, but I would still like to kick the person that dumped them in the family jewels. :rant:

I don't really see the rotty, mostly just GSD and possibly some other shepherd type mixed in (it's also possible there was more than one daddy btw)

Nice looking pups- I would take the second one in a heartbeat! :p

It's hard to believe that someone would just dump such beautiful pups. They obviously didn't try very hard to find them homes. :angry:

Thank you for taking them in. :) I'm sure you will find them good homes quickly.

A guy we know came and picked up the fluffy black one - he thinks they are full GS! 3 out of the 4 colorings listed for them on one site I found. He said what likely happened is they came from someone with a puppy mill who didn't have a use for the males. Two more people are coming tomorrow that are very interested in the ones remaining... He was trying to convince us to keep one, and it is really tempting, but my heart is set on either another Golden Retriever (mix?) or a Great Pyr. I just don't know. They family we had tonight stayed for dinner and he couldn't say enough good about them... although them taking my favorite makes it a bit easier. They are the sweetest things though - not at all hyper, but playful still.

Poor things are full of worms Thankfully an easier fix than some other things.

__________ Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:28 pm __________

Preitler":2lu5qahq said:
The dark ones look more like Rottweiler to me, maybe a shepherd/rottweiler mix. Wouldn't be a bad thing, the Rottweilers I know are among the nicest personalities I've seen in dogs, german shepherds - not so much. But I'm no expert on dogs, and personalities sure for a great part depend on the breeding lines, I guess.

I found one color description that described it as doberman type markings... I also didnt' realize they could have shorter coats. They could easily be mutts though. If we were keeping one, I would actually prefer that for health reasons... although, I wish I could know 100% if they were pure bred or not - keep one for a stud :mrgreen:

__________ Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:40 pm __________

Oh my... looking at pics I think they are only 4-6 weeks old! I have been softening their food, which I guess is better than nothing, but I have no idea what to do with a pup that young (the only time we had puppies there was a mama dog to take care of them!)

http://steelcross-gsd.com/colours.html

They're most likely not full GSD, too much money to be made in that case, even the most basic idiot would know not to drop pureblooded GSD pups when you can easily make 400$ a head. I do know that they look like they're gonna be biiiiiiiig.

Why don't I ever find fluffy things? xD (oh yeah, because I'd be tempted to keep them all o3o)

I found a rabbit earlier this summer, but it died (Last, it's 2016, me)

the 2nd one definitely looks like a rot mix, you can tell by the shape of the face, at least, it looks like every rot mix I've ever had (like 3 lol).

They don't look like they'd been out there very long. Luckily you found them before the coyotes did.

My mom found a puppy on the side of the road once, ugliest little thing on the planet, we decided he was a cocker spaniel/poodle mix. She still has him 11 years later and she's ruined him :evil: When I was living with her, the dog had manners, knew basic commands, was house trained etc. Nope. Not anymore.

Fireclaws bunnbutts":1waa2jlo said:
They're most likely not full GSD, too much money to be made in that case, even the most basic idiot would know not to drop pureblooded GSD pups when you can easily make 400$ a head. I do know that they look like they're gonna be biiiiiiiig.

Why don't I ever find fluffy things? xD (oh yeah, because I'd be tempted to keep them all o3o)

I found a rabbit earlier this summer, but it died (Last, it's 2016, me)

the 2nd one definitely looks like a rot mix, you can tell by the shape of the face, at least, it looks like every rot mix I've ever had (like 3 lol).

They don't look like they'd been out there very long. Luckily you found them before the coyotes did.

My mom found a puppy on the side of the road once, ugliest little thing on the planet, we decided he was a cocker spaniel/poodle mix. She still has him 11 years later and she's ruined him :evil: When I was living with her, the dog had manners, knew basic commands, was house trained etc. Nope. Not anymore.

I keep going back and forth on the short haired one. It doesn't have a slick coat like a lab or anything, it's fluffier than it looks, just a short fluffy :? . The face is different though...

face is different but still not rotty imo. Too long and lacks any of the squareness to the face. There are a LOT of breeds that come in black and tan. Rotties, dobies, almost any hound breed, even some aussies will come with next to no white with black tri, honestly so many breeds come in that color combo (even dachshunds, yorkies, chihuahuas, and YES german shepherds) that it can't be used to identify any one breed :|

THe short haired one is the only one left! Had someone take one home Sunday night, another left last night, and we have someone coming to pick the remaining one up tonight. Whew! At least they took my favorites each time, the temptation to keep one was increasing - they were super sweet pups! The one that's left was already chasing chickens so there's no way I was going to mess with that again :x not after one pup we had killed 10 of them in a very short amount of time this past summer.

Latest posts

Back