Genetics are just WAY to confusing for me!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic

Reaction score
Ok. So here is what my mind is piecing together for punnet squares:

The doe in question is a solid chestnut agouti. Her mom is a solid chestnut agouti and her dad is a solid black buck.

So for punnet squares, she would be an Ab, correct?

Now the buck in question is a broken blue buck. Mom is a broken black doe and dad is a solid chestnut agouti.

He would be ab, correct? Because he is a solid blue.

So if I breed the two rabbits in question, according to punnet squares I will get the following, if I am doing this right!
- Aa (Chestnut Agoutis?)
- Ab (Blue Chinchilla? That is the agouti version of blue correct?)
- bb (Blues?)
- ab (Wouldn't this be more blues?)

It is legit confusing me.

Either way, what colors could I possibly get out of that combination?

First off you don't combine letters. There are a few gene sets with more than 2 possible outcomes which get subscript or other letters like C locus can be C cch, cchl, ch, or just c. E can be E, e, ej. Everything else is a captial or a lower case. For agouti you only have A which is agouti or a which is self. The rabbits are AA agouti only, Aa agouti carrying self, or aa self. Self means they lack agouti markings, the hair shafts are all one color, and there is no white belly, white ears, ear lacing, etc... A dilute agouti is A* or A- meaning you don't know the second letter of the pair and dd. That would be opal. A nondilute regular chestnut agout is A- D- or AA DD. B and b are black or chocolate. BB and Bb are black but the 2nd carries chocolate and bb is chocolate. So A- D- bb is a chocolate agouti. A- dd bb is a lilac (lynx) agouti. aa D- B- is black, aa dd B- is blue, aa dd bb is lilac, aa D- bb is chocolate.

Your chestnut doe being from a chestnut and a black would be Aa D- B- C- E- for the basics. Your buck would be aa dd B- C- E-. Crossing them we can ignore B, C, and E because we don't know them. You would cross the A's and get 50% agouti, 50% self and then 50% chance of blue and 50% chance of black giving you pretty much equal odds of chestnut, opal (blue agouti), blue, and black.

http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/genetics.htm

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Holland-L ... s-Home.htm

http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.co ... sindex.php

Thank you so much Akane, your way of explaining things is much easier!

I really appreciate it. I am going to read those links right now! :)

You will get chestnuts and blacks, brokens and solids, however you will only get blues and opals if the doe carries blue, even if the buck is blue. However all offspring will be dilute carriers and able to produce blue. There are a number of color genes that must be carried by both rabbits to be produced, REW, dilute and non-extension among them.

Latest posts

Back