Generation nameing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 bun-owner

Reaction score
If you are do generations is it better to have
A special name like they do with horses that race.
I have seen some names in here like that and
Was wondering.

Just got a blue doe that's bred and wanted a
Different name for her.

You mean like a barn/call name?
You can do that, but I'd stick with original names for rabbits, it will get too confusing if you start renaming them....

No not renaming. When you get a new bun and your
Are doing generations do you do special names
Like the do or horses that race. You war the
fancy names when you go to the horse races.
I can't think of what it's called at the top of my head.
Lol

No, if you breed two pedigreed rabbits named by another rabbitry, the kits you get to name. No need to connect the previous breeders name, because they were not bred by them.
So my Al's [name] californian will have kits and now be FF [name] californians.

Most of my buns have ped names (registered names in dogs) and Call names, some have the call name as the pedigree name, and some only have pedigree names. I'm very bad at naming.

For example Redwall's Elmo- is Elmo's name on the pedigree, and you can see his call name is Elmo.

Rush Hour's Last One Standing is Fava2's pedigree name.

NBC20 is Ansel's ped name.

It can be fancy or not, depending on what you like.

I think 2bun is talking about putting the buck or does name into the kits names, like the 'Doc Bar' (?) quarter horse line.

3mina":2ggi4oze said:
I think 2bun is talking about putting the buck or does name into the kits names, like the 'Doc Bar' (?) quarter horse line.

I thought that too, but I don't recall anyone putting the doe and buck name into their buns name. I actually can't remember anyone really mentioning any pedigree names here for the most part, except a few on the show thread, so I thought I'd toss that one out there :)

There are lots of ways to name, with rabbits most don't get too fancy, just generally farm name + call name. With horses some people combine dam and sire name although that leads to some REAlLY stupid names, some breeders go through the alphabet and each year gets all A names with the next foal crop getting Bs. There is also some naming according to bloodlines in some breeds.

I usually do plant/ nature names. Like my keeper doe from my last litter is Dangerbunny's Lupin and I also have a Juniper, my new buck is Dandelion but he wasn't born here so his farm name is different (renaming farm names is a huge fauxpas the bunny only gets your prefix if they were born on your farm) my other newish buck is Oscar so I'm not really strict with a theme, lol.

I think I get what she means.

You don't HAVE to, but I do think it's kind of fun. I once had a line of Harlequins that all had Chex in their name. The bloodline went like this (from buck to buck, the does I didn't keep the name theme with):

Chex Mix
Lotsa Chex
Chubby Chexers
Big Chex to Cash (stole that off a horse, but who cares, really)
Collecting Chex

I ran out of decent names after awhile. Now my does are plants and my bucks are biblical. Sage, Chamomile, Fern are my girls. Abraham, Solomon, Sampson, Samuel, Shem, Enoch, and Ezra are my boys.

Ok, more confusing then what I thought.
Got this doe from a breeder and don't think
She named her. I will ask. But she's a blue Dutch
And I want to start my generation with her. I wanted
A unique name but couldn't find any or think if
Any the top of my head. Some of the names that one listed
Is what I'm looking for. Thank you!
What's the difference between the call name and
A registered name ( if you choose to register them) like through
ARBA or something like that .

Does the doe have a tattoo in her ear?

If so then she likely has a name that the breeder gave her and it will be on her pedigree as well, it might just be a bunch of letters or numbers that don't spell anything, and that you cannot change.

If she doesn't have a tattoo then you can pick which ever one you like (unless of course her pedigree has a tattoo number that the breeder didn't get around to putting in her ear)

You can call her anything you like - Fluffy, Bitsy, Blue - but you cannot change her official name on her pedigree paper work.

You can name her babies anything you like since you are the breeder.

2 bun-owner":11hzml21 said:
What's the difference between the call name and
A registered name ( if you choose to register them) like through
ARBA or something like that .

Sometimes there is no difference. I like to give clever registered names if possible. But mos tof my buns don't even have real call names.

Back