Geese

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
So, I just bought 2 geese at an auction......what the heck do they eat? I don't want to buy a whole bag of something, because they are just bound for FC this week.

Also, some Amish said they don't butcher geese until fall because the pin feathers don't come out easy....is that true?

I scored 5 "almost" fryers for $4 each too, a week on feed, and they'll be good. Bought 2 medium sized mature NZW, and the best part is they forgot to charge us for them! Didn't realize that until we got home. They'll be headed for FC next weekend too. It was a good haul, that's for sure!! :bunnyhop:

Grass - is all they need. I do give them a bit of scratch, in the evening, so they are used to coming to me. Get ready for the great goose roundup, when you are ready for fc, they can outrun you! If you have them used to going in a pen for the evening scratch, it will make it a Lot easier when you do fc!!! They are fast!

LOL! :lol: They are in one of the horse stalls right now, so they should be good. THANKS!!

I have a old timey reel mower, with grass catcher, that I use to cut grass, for the geese, rabbits, guinea pigs and chickens. I throw the cut grass on top of the geeses' water and they think that I am feeding gourmet.
- Do not stand behind a goose. If they are full grown, their tails are held upright, which mean the poop shoot is vertical, think projectile of 1 to 2 feet - yech ...

ah, you'd best be honest about those rabbits.... figure out what you owe and pay 'em. You don't need anyone being stiffed over their error.

but yeah!! good haul. :)

We will, we are not those kind of people. We would never get away with it anyway, one of the Amish that put the auction on is our farrier, and he'll be here next week. :lol: It's only $8 anyway.....not gonna break us.

So, what will happen if we want to FC the geese now? Is there anything we can do about the pin feathers to make it easier?

Geese have more feathers than a chicken or duck. I do suggest keeping the feathers and pick out the down. Clean and dry down, store in zip lock back with lavender or some other mite repellent, till you get enough - down comforter and pillows, ummmm
-- Be parpared for oily feathers (waterproof) hose down the bird to start getting the feathers water logged, before scalding.
-- My geese are currently molting (they were born around Easter) and have more (than normal) pin feathers.
-- I have seen people talk about using wax, to help pull pin feathers. You can also make a DIY wax, look for bikini wax / sugaring recipes - sugar honey lemon.
-- If you are interested, I can look up some of my (edit - recipes), it is fun to learn how to do, easier than razors - though it does not always get used - it tastes good! You will not be able to use the down, though.

Back