Gaint Chinchilla

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randtrabbitry

Reaction score
I know i should not be looking at a different breed tell i fix my current problems. But iv got a chance to get a nice older buck for cheap. And the more i look into these breed the more i like them. I could get a 1 yr old buck and a 10 week old doe for $70 which from looking around is a good deal. But my problem is there is not a lot of info out there on them. I know there big like 12 pounds to 16 pounds. Ive ready there gentle giants and don't eat much more then other big breeds. And i know they will need a special cage so they can get of the wire. Is there Anyone on here that breeds them or have breed them that would like to share your info on them. Or if you have a website that has info. I plan on going to some shows next spring but thats were i will be picking up the pair so i would like some info before i pick up.

From what I've seen is they're very Similar to Flemish Giants, there were a couple at the last show I went to and you could pretty much mistake them for light Grey Flemish.

I agree with Devon. I think they are beautiful, but probably a niche market like most of the rare breeds. Even in Storey's Guide the author says something to the effect that rabbits like that eat a lot, aren't great for meat production, a lot of people aren't equipped for the size, etc., but I am all about supporting the heritage breeds if possible. If you have the money and space, I'd say it would be worth it to give them a try. :)

Here is a link with some info on the breed:

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/giantchinchilla.html

Best of luck,

Lauren

This is a bit late from the original post, but there is a chinchilla rabbit group on Yahoo that deals withall three breeds, Standard, AMERICAN and Giant. Try it== youmay like it....

I raise giant chins they are very nice rabbits to breed and they s
Are very different from the Flemish. They make great pets and great meat rabbits. Only problem is they tend to get themselves bound up wit hair when they shed only one or two outa your herd but it's incomvienient but easily treated. They eat about thesame as my cals and new zealands do they seem to be feed effisssiant. Anymore ?s pm me I'll be happy to help

Latest posts

Back