Gaining Weight

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheBrightside

Reaction score
I am in need of any advice that anyone can give me. I have a really hard time keeping my weight up and my goal by the end of the summer is 125lb, minimum. I am currently 105lb, and my lowest was 95lb. I'm about 5"6, so that's pretty unhealthy. I don't want to gain fat, just muscle. I exercise regularly, running, crunches, weights and other miscellaneous things.
I try and eat as much as I can, but have to take appetite stimulant pills on a daily basis as I don't eat more than a piece of toast a day without them.
So more or else what I'm getting at is I'm wondering if anybody has any tips for me, food lists that will help ect I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance :)
- Karlie

Maybe too much exercise? I was very thin for a long time, and I was pretty sure it was partly the cause of some ladies issues I was having. I am also very active, and I eat a lot still. I recently had a friend who was trying to get pregnant, she was very fit and health conscience and the doctor told her to gain some weight, as her percentage of body fat was too low.
You could try those protein drinks, weight gainer stuff like you find a GNC, power bars. I can't eat breakfast, so I try to drink those in the morning before work. I am also eating a lot of potatoes (baked, or nuked in my case) and pasta. you don't have to consume a lot of those to get a good amount of calories and carbohydrates.

I don't think its too much exercise, as I completely stopped other than walking, as I take my horse out on hikes through the woods with me regularly, for several months to see if that was the problem. I'm still building back up to where I used to be as I can hardly jog a mile now, where I used to be able to run 2-3 comfortably. I think stopping only made it worse, as I felt terrible pretty much all the time. No energy at all.
I'll see if my parents will get me some protein bars/shakes ect. Maybe those will help.

You could have some of mine--I'd gladly give it up!! I wish I were in your predicament!

Seriously, though, I have a son who has always struggled to gain weight. He does eat quite a bit and works out (he has to--he's in the Army). He does a lot of the protein shakes (Jay Robb is reportedly pretty good, and tastes good, too).

A lot of people say that, but its not the funnest thing in the world. :b
Thanks for the tip, I'll try and find that kind of shake.

I didn't see your age posted but from my experience I was 105 as a freshman in H.S. and graduate at 120lbs. I was always active, played sports and had trouble gaining weight but was always fit. When I got married at age 27 I was 140lbs and now in my 40's I've continued an active lifestyle and weigh around 175lb at 5'10". My advice is a high protein low fat diet and maybe add supplements. That would probably be best. Make sure you get a complete physical with blood work and maybe get advice from your doctor.

When I was a teenager/young woman, I weighed about 90 to 95 lbs and I am 5' 4". Now I am in my early forties and weigh anywhere between 110-120, usually more in the winter, less in the summer. We don't own a scale, so I only weigh myself when I am at someone's house, fully clothed, so I never really get an accurate weight. My husband was 27 when I met him, and weighed 155 lbs and he is just under 6' 4". Now in his early 50s, he weighs about 220.

It also sounds like you are like me in that you don't have disciplined eating habits- I rarely eat breakfast, and sometimes skip lunch. Two meals a day is normal for me. Other times, I eat 5 or 6 times a day. Try to eat more regular meals, and snack on fruit or vegis throughout the day.

I've never gotten my thyroid tested, but it is something I am curious about. I feel that as long as you have energy, you're good. People's metabolisms vary greatly, and it sounds like you are one with a "high metabolism".

You might look into doing a parasite cleanse- most people do have parasites. We did an herbal cleanse that lasted 6 or 8 weeks. I never saw any worms, but it made me feel better (psychologically) that we did it.

One other thing- you may be anemic- most women are. There is a product called Floradix available at health food stores that is a great supplement. http://www.vitacost.com/flora-floradix- ... yeast-free As a child, I was very thin (and anemic) also, and our doctor put me on iron, brewers yeast, and Serbex T vitamins.

All that said, I don't feel that there is anything wrong with your weight, especially if you have a fine bone structure. I just measured my wrist, and it is 6 1/4" around. I have a friend my same height, and her wrist is at least twice as big, so she would look pretty skeletal at my weight. She is trying to lose weight with a goal of weighing around 150.

I'm 16, and have had all the tests I could think of done. I have a lot of health problems that are UN-diagnosed. My doctor isn't very helpful, doesn't really do his job but nobody else will take our insurance around here. My parents aren't really helpful either, they basically blame my health on me and I get in trouble because of it which I don't exactly understand. I used to weigh about 135 in my freshman year, the past year and a half I lost a lot of weight, couldn't eat anything without medicine and could hardly keep it down if I did, which luckily I got over that. But at one point I basically didn't eat at all because everything I ate was thrown up in a matter of minutes.

I usually do have a structured eating habit, I write everything that I eat down and if I can I eat at least 5 times a day. I don't like fatty, greasy and fried foods so I usually just eat fresh veggies/fruit/pasta and bread. I was also a vegetarian for 5 years but I don't believe that had anything to do with it as I've been eating meat for about 3-4 months now and no change.

I think I missed about 40-50 days of school this past year due to being sick, I often couldn't even get up out of bed on my own or walk anywhere. I actually fell and hit my head and was unconscious for about half an hour before I came to because I couldn't keep myself up.

Sorry for the length, just thought a little background might help.

I will add a little more later but I've got to go now,

I was the same as a teen, i struggled to eat enough to gain weight and was always under weight. I would suggest adding protein shakes to your current meals and add a snack mid.morning, mod afternoon and evening of something like nuts or jerky, high protien stuff with some fat. My mom used to tell me "just wait till you hit your 30's!" :) Boy was she right...as a teen i was 5'9" and weighed under 100lbs, now i weigh around 165lbs and really want to be closer to 140lbs so i am working on that.

OneAcreFarm":1gcxcplh said:
I was the same as a teen, i struggled to eat enough to gain weight and was always under weight. I would suggest adding protein shakes to your current meals and add a snack mid.morning, mod afternoon and evening of something like nuts or jerky, high protien stuff with some fat. My mom used to tell me "just wait till you hit your 30's!" :) Boy was she right...as a teen i was 5'9" and weighed under 100lbs, now i weigh around 165lbs and really want to be closer to 140lbs so i am working on that.

Pretty much that's what happened to me. I always joked that I would be forever skinny, because having children is not in my future. But as soon as I hit 30, all of the sudden, I had a woman's body! The boyish figure was gone, and for the first time in my life, I had hips.

OnTheBrightside":3m0qwhh2 said:
I'm 16, and have had all the tests I could think of done. I have a lot of health problems that are UN-diagnosed. My doctor isn't very helpful, doesn't really do his job but nobody else will take our insurance around here. My parents aren't really helpful either, they basically blame my health on me and I get in trouble because of it which I don't exactly understand. I used to weigh about 135 in my freshman year, the past year and a half I lost a lot of weight, couldn't eat anything without medicine and could hardly keep it down if I did, which luckily I got over that. But at one point I basically didn't eat at all because everything I ate was thrown up in a matter of minutes.

I usually do have a structured eating habit, I write everything that I eat down and if I can I eat at least 5 times a day. I don't like fatty, greasy and fried foods so I usually just eat fresh veggies/fruit/pasta and bread. I was also a vegetarian for 5 years but I don't believe that had anything to do with it as I've been eating meat for about 3-4 months now and no change.
I think I missed about 40-50 days of school....

I'm not a physician but it sounds like an eating disorder to me. You need to get your health problems evaluated by a professional before trying any drastic weight gain measures. If your doc seems unwilling to help I would suggest getting a second opinion.

As far as a diet to help you gain weight goes, eat lots of protein and lots of carbs and less veggies. Exercise hard and regularly. Once you achieve your desired weight you can start adding fruits and veggies.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 am __________<br /><br />Once again I cannot stress enougb that you need to get your appetite problems straightened out before taking on a super strenuous exercise routine. If you arent taking in enough calories it will cause more health problems

My daughter has your problem so I make shure shr has at lest one avocado aday some times I have to trick her shes not a fan I take a whole avocado put in a blender (take off pell and seed) two table spoons of cocoa agave to sweeten it and a splash of almond milk blend till smooth stick in fridge for two hours and then serve tastes like a fancy home made chocolate pudding!

A counselor might help you sort some things out. As a young woman, it is easy to internalize stress and the stomach is very much affected by stress. Our bodies like to tell us what our minds do not want to hear.

Herbal treatments for nausea may help, too. Ginger, chammomile, and peppermint are good herbs that help calm the stomach.

Avoid caffeine and 'energy drinks'. These stimulate the stress response system of the body and trigger unhealthy highs and lows of your body's natural insulin production.

Milk products are a good source of protein and minerals, if you are in the habit of using energy drinks try to switch to things like strawberry milk or natural fruit juices instead.

Nuts are a high-nutrient snack food that is easy to carry around and nibble on. I love the mixed nut products that come in the little single-serving packets, they are delicious!

Back to the stress thing - I hear you expressing frustration that other people have let you down, such as your doctor and your parents. You are nearing adulthood and demonstrate the ability to be pro-active about your health. If you are seeking help from someone and they can't step up, then find someone else who can help you - another doctor, or other adults in life besides your parents.

Good luck!

I'm 5'10". I weighed 128 to 132 lbs. from the time i was in jr. high until I hit my late 20's. Then, I eased up to 145 lbs. and with all of the High Fructose Corn Syrup in our groceries these days from my early thirties to my late fourties, I inched up to 200lbs. Yes, that is not a typo!

I am now down to a normal weight of 150 to 155 because I cut out the HFCS, I eat whole grains and veggies.

Passing out sounds like hypoglycemia. Which is low blood sugar and can be just as much as a health risk as diabetes.

And, you know, I was anorexic when I was in 8th grade. Didn't last long (maybe for about 7 months) but I didn't eat, but one piece of colby cheese per day. The lady that sold it, sliced it off of this big wheel of cheese about 8 inches in diameter and she sliced me a piece about as thick as a cracker and that's what I ate for the day.

I can remember the day I went into that store and as that woman was cutting me a slice of that cheese, I thought to myself, "I deserve more than one slice of cheese". And I bought the second one. For some reason, that memory sticks out in my mind and I started back slowly to eating more normal after that.

Stress, turmoil and a bunch of other junk was going on at the time. It wasn't that I couldn't eat, just that somewhere in this noggin' of mine it stuck. Couldn't seem to eat anything else. Don't know why.

The brain is a funny thing. You can get a thought in your head and suddenly, you'll be nauseous because something smells off. You won't know why. It just does. Nobody else is affected by it but you. But in your head, it's smells off.

I do believe today that the media pounds and pounds young people and all of the rest of us to "not be fat" and they throw out all of this junk science to help you loose weight. I didn't loose weight by exercising. I couldn't. My knees were shot. I lost weight because I just cut partial grains and HFCS. And now I can walk!

I'm also aware that even some of the schools are teaching children that they shouldn't even be alive because they take up too much of their carbon footprint or something to do with the earth. There have been instances where interviews have been taped and it is heard coming out of the mouths of children in grade school and it's a dirty lie.

I believe that my Creator made me and He wanted me to be alive. That He has a purpose for my life. That means that my life has value.

Check your thought life? What runs through your head that you never voice out loud? Sometimes we repeat things that we hear said to us that are mean. Other times, things just slip in there and run around like a rabid dog barking at us.

Sometimes you have to tell your head to shut up!

Honey,whatever is going on with you I hope you realize that the people here care about you very much.

Concrete Blonde

OnTheBrightside":1i57l7cm said:
16yrs old 5"6 currently 105lb, I used to weigh about 135 in my freshman year,
the past year and a half I lost a lot of weight,
couldn't eat anything without medicine and could hardly keep it down if I did,
You do not like fat and recently you switched from a vegetarian diet - to - eating (some??) meat.

You could drink Star Bucks Specialty coffeee mixes - some have a lot of calories. :sleepwalk: Not good..

There is actually something called Rabbit Starvation - excess consumption of any lean meat (e.g., rabbit, caribou), When you attempt to live on meat but only eat the muscle tissue. You may be eating your meat too lean, your body needs fat / oil.
1) You do need some saturated fat, canola oil is not a good choice. Home made chicken soup would be great. There were times when my children or I have been sick - where all I could eat was the broth.
2) :nuke: I have a strong reaction to many of the preservatives that they use for medication. (ie. aluminum, ect.),
and the food coloring (if it says Lake) means that it has aluminum, too. Lake Red (example) has the aluminum to help it smoothly mix with fat. I can only have a little cake, the aluminum baking power upsets my stomach.
Try to have foods that have little or no preservatives / additives

The rest of this depends on how much you cook, or if your mom does the majority of the cooking.
make more of your own meals w/o additives and preservatives :chef:
Learning these and how to use them to flavor meat (the way you like) should require some taste testing (eating in small amouts) as you go along, too.
Home Made Ketchup
http://www.simplyscratch.com/2012/05/ho ... ecipe.html
How to Make Lacto-Fermented Vegetables without Whey (plus video)
http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2012/02/ ... ables.html
from site - Wild Fermentation "Vegetable Fermentation Further Simplified"
http://www.wildfermentation.com/vegetab ... plified-2/

Cultured Condiment Recipes
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/cultur ... nt-recipes

Back