Fuzzy Gene

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volz83

Reaction score
I breed Holland lops and have been breeding for almost 5 years now and I have yet to produce a fuzzy Holland (just a matter of time!). I have a small two kit litter that just turned 3 weeks old this monday. Both parents come from the same line and that line does produce fuzzy Holland Lops. I have a broken buck and a solid doe. I have concerns for the broken buck that he "might" be a fuzzy? I do not know about what age or how young, you can point out a fuzzy. I have looked up pictures but still not sure about my little buck. He has a really nice head and great bone but so does his sister. His sister seems to have shorter fur but I've also read that sometimes (not always) a Holland Lop that carries the fuzzy gene can have slightly longer fur but not be a fuzzy? Here are some pictures of him! I hope he is not a fuzzy but if it is, o well! :) Does anyone have a good picture of a 3 week old and 4 week old fuzzy Holland?

kit in question (Broken tort buck):
kTazZwaMV0oCnZ4G5BbBLNOPbVy2IYmKz6X7qoweTF-d=w750-h626-no

9G5K3smFD0OiR-dREDKKHDVgCN-0mV2OwqPZGmlkGlEA=w750-h480-no

20Kjuvl_ZcNycy64JGsM3wPLK6b2VtdTofb4MZw0SC3q=w750-h514-no

n51R_EnQkONYVWLwGOhkTby71vesxjuWmD3l0W_7_H2f=w750-h563-no

WHwzhJnWzuVhRrg9k2vd6MiLZSS415sSnvIyuBGq1ld7=w750-h563-no

His solid tort sister:
rZAN3LTSUvB2C9zddnPPPuiwtswOXENju6c2jB_-2qJx=w750-h563-no

caID25_bEXGtiGcJz4i2wT_WsU5_E0lvErZlv5hEcQoY=w750-h563-no

He looks pretty normal to me.

I'll ask some friends for pictures, but from what I know, when you get a fuzzy holland you can tell pretty soon. They get fuzzy right about the age that the other wooled breeds get fuzzy, between 4-7 weeks.

Though the parents come from lines that produce wooled that gene may not have been passed on. They might be free of the gene. You might have lucked out. I've never gotten a fuzzy Holland but I did get a naked Jersey Wooly last winter.

Thanks so much! Yeah I wasn't sure if 3 weeks old is too young, I will post an updated picture of him this coming monday when he turns 4 weeks old!

He doesn't look fuzzy to me, but it's perfectly possible to get a fuzzy out of any line... The fuzzy gene can hide for generations and generations

lol they both are really cute!

Here they are at almost 4.5 weeks old!

Yoshi (one in question)

MNj_k0qg8wJvMSzF7_tQs08BlFc2ufgi9GZyCltvD-9M=w750-h563-no

Peach (his sister!)

XHNctTzO5pOBYBr8MnGIBQ-bjZa8AK_9T8_d0AhT8t0B=w750-h563-no

Back