Fur mites or rabbit scratching

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightnin1960

Reaction score
How can i tell if my rabbit has fur mites or the rabbit is just scratching it's neck. It's not really loosing her fur, just feel some little scabs on her neck some

Lightnin1960":2yv0ddu0 said:
How can i tell if my rabbit has fur mites or the rabbit is just scratching it's neck. It's not really loosing her fur, just feel some little scabs on her neck some

Sounds like mites...they don't usually just scratch their neck area for no reason.

yeah that's what I was thinking too but I checked her this morning and their about gone I've been treaten her with mineral oil she don't like it much though

Lightnin1960":2w82xm87 said:
I've been treaten her with mineral oil she don't like it much though

And who can blame her? The "greased hare look" is so out! :roll:

I use food grade Diatomaceous Earth (not pool grade! It is deadly.) to treat fur mites. Just a small amount sprinkled on their fur or your hand and then rubbed in worked well for my rabbits. The fur started growing back within a week.

I would check her ears for mites also. My rabbits never had any scabs on their skin from the fur mites, they just lost hair. But I have had cats with ear mites and they developed scabs on the neck area from scratching their ears.

Well she hasn't lost her hair that's what weird about it. Just can feel little scabs.. and she did have ear mites their gone..

Personally, I would think the scabs are due to scratching at the ear mites. If you cured the ear mites the scabs should go away soon. If they don't something else may be going on.

The ear mites, like fur mites, have to be treated several times before they're gone, if I recall correctly. Maybe they've re-established?

Latest posts

Back