Fur mite, HELP!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I noticed on my lead buck a bit of fur thinning just behind his head. I checked it over, and found just 1 tiny spot with a little bit of "dandruff" on it. I had heard from a few people that you can use Ivermectin in small doses topically.

12038298_1469889259986633_409885230634218214_n.jpg

This is all I have, is a tiny amount okay?

Yes, you can. Not sure on dose.
I bought a buck with fur mites and a couple applications of food grade diatomaceous earth was all he needed.

Oh thank goodness! We just went through a bout with having fleas in the house for some dang reason, and I started freaking when I saw mites. 1 buck has it, and the doe I just got last night has a small patch on her head. Where should I apply it?

On the buck it's only the back of his neck. The doe has very few flakes all over, but a penny sized patch on the top of her head where you can definitely see more of the "dandruff."

I just scooped a handful over the back of the neck (where he had them) and ruffled the fur to get it to the skin.

I use the injectable but just squirt it in their mouth. .08 cc per pound of rabbit.

Others here use the paste and they say to put it in their mouth and they'll eat it no problem. Make a little ball about the size of a small pea. Either way repeat in 10 days to get any hatched eggs.

Homer":3q28dmuq said:
I use the injectable but just squirt it in there mouth. .08 cc per pound of rabbit.

Others here use the paste and they say to put it in their mouth and they'll eat it no problem. Make a little ball about the size of a small pea. Either way repeat in 10 days to get any hatched eggs.

I use the paste and put it on a piece of banana or apple and they will eat it.

Be very careful on the dosage , too much can kill them.

FUR-MITES
Will look like flakes of dandruff. It is caused by: Chyletiella Parasitivorax and Listrophorus Gibbus. They occur most commonly on the back of the neck. An over-population may cause Dermatitis.

SYMPTOMS
An un-thrifty coat, loss of fur around the face , neck and back.

TREATMENT
A good Cat flea powder, Listerine mouthwash rubbed into the infected area will make short order of the Mites. You can also use a droplet the size of a small green-pea of Ivermectine/Zimectrine Horse Paste Wormer. Repeat treatment in ten days. Do NOT use treated animal as a meat source for at least 30 days after last treatment.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Latest posts

Back