Fur class

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnelsonfla

Reaction score
By raising Havana's I guess I am more motivated to enter the "fur class" than others. I was under the assumption that once a sanction was paid for the breed/class, that a "fur class' was added. I have now paid for 3 straight Havana sanctions(the next three also) and the show secretaries say "sorry we don't do 'fur class'". So is there nothing I can do? If the club doesn't want a fur class then there just isn't one? I contacted ARBA and they sent me a standard answer of "please contact your district director". still no answer from him, but with convention coming up I am sure it may be a few weeks. What is your experience with this? Should it be added to every show?

I think it depends upon the club that's putting on the show. If there traditionally isn't enough interest in having a fur class, I see no legitimate reason why they should be forced to put them on.

I've entered in and won them over the years, but they really don't matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, and once you start having both white and colored fur classes for satins and rex, you're pretty much going to be stuck putting them on for normal furred rabbits, then you get stuck in the rut of trying to decide whether to put Havanas into a satin fur class or normal fur class, and it turns into even more time tacked onto an already busy judging day.

I saw enough of the Persian-bazaar manner in which the Best of BOS judgings were held at a show late last spring to know how irritating it is to put rabbits onto a table for a competition and not have the judge take it seriously because he or she is ready to get out of Dodge. I hate leaving a showroom feeling like I wasted my time and wound up being hosed, and that makes for a long and sometimes dangerous ride home.

Well I got my answer, here it is straight from Director:

Thank you for the email. I apologize for not responding sooner. I already knew the answer, but wanted to find the exact rules for you.

Yes - All clubs are required to accept fur entries for recognized breeds. I have copied and pasted 2012 ARBA Show Rules and 2011-2015 Standard of Perfection below:

SECTION 7. Rabbit fur and wool classes
(A) Fur and wool classes to be as specified in the ARBA Standard of Perfection.
ARBA Standard of Perfection - 2011-2015
Page 30 States:
All rabbits are eligible to compete in their respective breed fur or wool classes, and if normal furred, in the commercial fur class
All fur and wool classes are to be separate paid entries. All rabbits entered in fur or wool classes must be entered and shown in their respective breed class.

So I try contacting the club(s) putting on the next few shows and go from there. I also found the SOP has a description of the "Fur class" and which breeds are allowed in on page #29. So Havana's would be in the "colored" class.

I think people are just making a mad dash for the door and it's probably being over looked. They've had one in every show I've been so far.

tnelsonfla":2rb9f809 said:
skysthelimit":2rb9f809 said:
I've never entered one, because went Rex judging is over I'm out the door.

Rex nor Mini Rex are listed as possible breeds to be entered.

All rabbits are eligible to compete in their respective breed fur

Now that would be kind odd since Rex is a fur breed with half of the points to fur.

They do have fur class for Rex because my breeder entered it at the PaSRBA last year. I just wanted to take eh 6 hr drive back home in daylight so I didn't enter. Since Rex classes are so small at most shows, I certainly don't hang around past the Rex judging, which goes really quick.

How strange that Rex is not a candidate for a fur class.

And would this not entitle Rex to a fur class?????
"All rabbits are eligible to compete in their respective breed fur or wool classes, and if normal furred, in the commercial fur class"<br /><br />__________ Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:38 pm __________<br /><br />Sky I see your on the same page as I. :)

Sorry I mis-read the SOP. I was looking at the list of breeds listed under "commercial fur class". Yes all breeds will or can be entered in "Breed fur class". Sorry.

tnelsonfla":255f0e9c said:
Sorry I mis-read the SOP. I was looking at the list of breeds listed under "commercial fur class". Yes all breeds will or can be entered in "Breed fur class". Sorry.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.
As much as Rex wants to be a commercial meat breed, it's a fancy breed.

Maybe I should take the fur class more seriously?

When I went to my first show (I've only been to two) the fur class for the Rex was right after the Rex judging... made sense since the rabbits were all there already!

MamaSheepdog":3tr0e9sa said:
When I went to my first show (I've only been to two) the fur class for the Rex was right after the Rex judging... made sense since the rabbits were all there already!

The last two show fur was the last thing done. Probably an afterthought.

In this day and age... there are very few people actively breeding for fur... it is so not PC. At the (much) bigger shows some will do breed fur as it does give feedback on proper coat type... and also gives a breeder "bragging rights".

Yes the Judging is typically done right after the judge names BOB/BOSB, he goes right to rabbits entered in fur class. He doesn't have to check for DQ's and he/she just looked at them. He then goes 5th,4th,3rd,2nd and best fur. It is normally less than a minute per rabbit. Then after each shows BIS & RIS are named(lately at our shows they've been naming 3rd place BIS too). Then they call best fur rabbit to table, this is the most time consuming, especially if BOB was not best fur in class.

tnelsonfla":2v50efh5 said:
Yes the Judging is typically done right after the judge names BOB/BOSB, he goes right to rabbits entered in fur class. He doesn't have to check for DQ's and he/she just looked at them. He then goes 5th,4th,3rd,2nd and best fur. It is normally less than a minute per rabbit. Then after each shows BIS & RIS are named(lately at our shows they've been naming 3rd place BIS too). Then they call best fur rabbit to table, this is the most time consuming, especially if BOB was not best fur in class.

If we're going to start quoting the SOP verbatim, we need to also include the following:

NOTE: Any rabbit Disqualified from Competition or Unworthy of An Award shall be ineligible to compete in any fur or wool class.

It goes on to read as follows:

Show secretaries should still see that animals previously disqualified in breed classes are removed prior to the fur class being brought to the table

While by that rule, the judge is not required to check fur class rabbits for DQ's, it becomes the job of the show secretary to ensure that any rabbit which was DQ'd from open competition is removed from any fur class they may have been entered in. By that rule in the SOP, it is not an immediate thing if you're playing it the way it is defined.

The SOP also does not differentiate between types of DQ's as it pertains to elimination from a fur class. IOW, it means that a rabbit with wrong eye color, white toenails, etc. are to be treated the same as rabbits which are found to have illnesses, sore hocks, or ear canker.

So yes, while the actual judging part of the fur class competitions may not normally take very long, the reviewing of the entries will practically guarantee slowing the show's progress because, by that rule, the show secretary has to perform that function prior to the fur classes being called to the table.

And I'll say right now that there are more than a small handful of judges that I wouldn't personally want to judge my breed's regular classes, let alone throw out another $1-2 per head to see that same knucklehead go through a fur class like he or she has been tasked to clean the latrines. In such an event, if you enter 10-20 rabbits in a double show and in fur classes, that's $20-80 you've just thrown out the window for fur class entry fees alone, and for what? In the end, fur classes don't really prove a darn thing.

Good piont. Like the judge a few weeks ago that put up SF that were so heavily silvered that looked like champagnes. That person certainly would not get my money to judge the fur class in Silver Fox. I guess I figure too, if you make a win on the show table, in a breed like rex where half the points is fur, then you've already made the same statement that would be made by winning the fur class.

Back