funky looking ear

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racingjunky

Reaction score
This 5 week old rabbit has had this one ear flopped over for as long as I can remember. Today when I looked at it, it has a big swollen purple bubble/blister looking thing in it. Anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• rabbitearedit3.jpg
    rabbitearedit3.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 321
Thats weird. Does it feel soft like its filled with fluid or solid? Could be an ear hematoma. Can you see down the ear canal? :hmm:

It does look like a hematoma, or blood clot. There is a large vein that runs up the middle of the ear that bleeds like crazy when punctured.

I've heard of them in sheep and have one ewe who gets them yearly. They can go away on their own or need special suturing.
Basically, you cut into it to let it drain and then you stitch the ear skin back onto the cartlage at many points and leave the hole to let it continue to drain.
Dogs get them when they have long, floppy ears, but it's usually on the tips of the ears.

If it is blocking the ear canal, you should either find a way to get fresh air into the ear or let it bleed out. A blocked ear canal will get infected and that's a bit worse.

When I worked as a vet tech we'd see dogs with these all the time. It looks like a collection of blood between the ear tissues, a hematoma like the others have mentioned. The vet usually drains the blood and sews a button in the center of the area to encourage the tissue to reattach. Your bunny prpbsbly won't appreciate it but if you can get your hands on some viscous or topical lidocaine, it would help with the pain if you choose that route.

I agree with the hematoma diagnosis. Usually they are caused by excessive shaking of the head. You should check the ear for mites or a foreign body causing irritation.

As for the hematoma itself, you should lance the ear and then express as much blood as possible. Swab the ear well with rubbing alcohol first so it is relatively sterile. Put cotton balls into the ear canal so blood does not drain into it. It would actually be best to lance the "fur side" of the ear so you can lance it at the bottom of the "blister" nearest the base of the ear and not have to worry about blood draining into the ear canal, but if the tissue is not distended as it is on the inner surface, this might be more painful.

Prior to doing this, look at the other ear so you can see where the main veins run so you can hopefully avoid cutting into them.

I would then irrigate the wound with either a weak Betadine and water solution (it should look like tea), or hydrogen peroxide in order to rinse as much coagulated blood out as possible. Betadine is the veterinary version of povidine iodine, which you may have in your own first aid kit.

If the ear is not sutured, it may crumple and shrivel which will disfigure the ear but will not cause any health issues. When this happens, it is commonly called a "cauliflower ear".

DitchDoc":10azeof6 said:
Your bunny probably won't appreciate it but if you can get your hands on some viscous or topical lidocaine, it would help with the pain if you choose that route.

I once lanced a dog's ear for a friend of mine, since taking the dog to the vet was not an option. He didn't seem to even feel it when I sliced into the ear.

I also know someone that marks their bucks by cutting the top inch or so off of the ear. I know it sounds awful, but they are cattle ranchers and in addition to branding their cows they also slice the ears in a specific way as part of their "brand", so it made perfect sense to them to do the same with their rabbits. I have seen them do it, and the rabbits don't react. :shock:

However, if you are worried about the pain, and can't get any lidocaine, you could apply oral antiseptic gel (Orajel) which contains Benzocaine, an anesthetic in the same family. Icing the ear prior to making your incision will also help.

Good luck! :clover:

i did our cat once who got one... he didn't notice the cut...but he certainly noticed the squeeze to get it all out....

My sister's dachshund ears was like that before, we didn't have enough money for the vet back then and she was so worried that it might make matters worst if we waited. It was filled with fluids. I sterilized the syringe first and doze the area with alcohol. We also use ice to numb the area a little. I punctured it with the needle then slowly removed the fluids with the attached syringe. There was a lot in there and its not easy since the dachshund even though they are small, they are really strong.

it was a 3 man job, my sister and her husband has to hold her while I'm taking the fluids out. After that, she was playing with the other dogs like nothing happened. It didn't come back again after that.

Wow!!! This is awesome!! you all are great!! I posted this yesterday thinking I might get a response or two if I waited a day. Thank you all so much for your input and help. I was sorta freaking out. I had my wife hold the bunny after I rubbed the firm hemotoma looking thing with mouth wash. I inserted a syringe and sucked out a lot of blood. I was able to poke 3 different spots and make it about half it's size. He didn't seem to even notice until I tried a spot closer to his head. He jumped when I poked so I called it good for now. It made a big difference but it's not as good as I would like. The ear is now open. I'll keep my eye on it. Thanks again for the advice.

Mitchell Moore
www.mitchell-moore.com

Back