Fun with Genetics - Am I guessing this right?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pucksfolly

Reaction score
Last weekend I finally convinced my rexes that I bought them for breeding, not snuggling and got my first spring breeding in. I bred a Lynx doe (which if I read right is dilute chocolate agouti) with a broken castor Dam and a Lilac Sire, castor, broken castor, blues, chocs, opals and lilac on ped. The sire is my chocolate buck, nothing but choc and lilac in pedigree. The colors I'm guessing I might end up with would be Chocolate, Lilac, Amber and Lynx . . . Am I missing anything I might look forward to? I don't see any REW, but I know sometimes they hide in the bushes and pounce when you least expect them . . . :shock:

Your wording is a little confusing. You mean the broken castor dam has a lilac sire and a castor sire? Assuming one of those is broken. Then you used a chocolate buck? Are either of his parents lilac?

If I'm reading that right the doe is lilac based which means both dilute and chocolate. That will give chocolate, whatever standard rex call chocolate agouti, and if the buck carries dilute lilac and lynx.

Sounds about right. Dilute from both sides, chocolate from both sides. Lynx, Castor, Amber, Chocolate and Lilac are all possible. REW is always a possibility.

If the Rex is truly a chocolate agouti, and not a smutty Fawn. Most things called Lynx for the show table, are actually smutty Fawns, then you are dealing with the non extension gene, in which case, you are in for all sorts of non Rex surprises.

I don't see any REW, but I know sometimes they hide in the bushes and pounce when you least expect them . . .
:) too true.

You've covered the A, B and D locus colour possibilities but not C or E (or the more obscure W, V , Du and P. En = English spot / Broken is not a possibility)

If either parent carries a recessive on their C-locus you could get chinchilla, shaded, himilayan or REW but the chances are slim.

If either parent carries something other than normal extension on their E-locus you could get torts, harlequins, or steels :)

I hope there's no non extention fun . . . I got her off a good breeder, the rest of her litter was ambers with a few castors and a lilac, so I'm desparately hoping Lynx it is, lol. I think she might be a little light for the SOP but she has a nice body and I can see rings so I'm desparately hoping it's right. I'm trying for a lilac so I can introduce some dilute around . . . I know the buck carries lilac, one of his parents was broken lilac. I want to introduce dilute into my depressingly dilute free black lines.

The problem is SOP lynx and genetic lynx are not the same genotype. Is you bun a SOP lynx or a genetic lynx?

Funny, I've been trying to remove dilute from my Rex herd.

Pretty sure she's genetic. I don't know for sure, and won't know till I get a few litters out of her mind you, but I'm pretty sure she's genetic. She looks a lot like the doe at the bottom of this web page http://mysite.verizon.net/res14yqyl/id11.html Just a touch more lilac. I'm pretty sure she's not being shown because her under coat is too dark, but lynx isn't what I'm actually aiming for. She was the only dilute that the breeder had ready at the time and we were at the same show so I bought her, my chocolate buck and a broken chocolate doe. I could have waited for a Lilac, but I didn't have any ability to drive to KY to pick one up :cry:. So I'm hoping for Lilacs out of this breeding. She's got good conformation and has good type when I can convince her to set up and stop searching for fallen hay, lol.

Pucksfolly"I'm pretty sure she's not being shown because her under coat is too dark said:
Ok, if her undercoat is dark, then she is a genetic lynx and you should not have to worry about non extension or wideband, those genes would have given her the lighter undercoat necessary for show. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:42 pm __________ <br /><br />
Pucksfolly":3lswp5yl said:
She's got good conformation and has good type when I can convince her to set up and stop searching for fallen hay, lol.

LOL. took some kits out the other day, much more interested in rubbing my hand or being rubbed. I could not stack them, so I could not judge them, and could not cull them. Perhaps that was the plan?

They're onto you, :shock: No good when the rabbits start understanding human speak, lol

Back