Fryer weights on a forage-based diet?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramblingrabbit

Reaction score
I wasn't sure whether to put this under "meat rabbits" or under "natural feeding" as it somewhat relevant to both, but...

This being my first litter, I'm not sure what to expect or what's typical in the forage-based model. There are eight, and they are just 10 weeks old, 3/4 NZW and 1/4 Champagne d'Argent, the parents having come from a small-time conventional meat rabbit breeder. They were raised on a diverse forage-based diet with oats and root vegetables and sugarcane. They average something just under 3 and 3/4 pounds, not counting the runt, who's a little smaller. I'm thinking of slaughtering in a couple of weeks, with more little ones on the way, since 12 weeks seems to be about the cut-off for rapid growth and also I understand about when they start getting frisky, if you know what I mean.

Does this seem like an acceptable weight gain at this point for a forage-based fryer? I'm pretty happy to get anything, since I paid almost nothing for feed (woohoo!) I'm just curious how that compares to others' experiences...

I don't weigh my fryers... I just eyeball them and slaughter between 14-16 weeks, when they get to the approximately five pound stage. Rabbits raised on natural feed do grow more slowly but they also seem to mature sexually more slowly as well so I have not had problems with their "friskiness". Just my experience. As you point out, their feed costs so little that you can get good meat at whatever point you decide to slaughter.

Since you are just getting started, I suggest you slaughter some at 12 weeks and hold the rest for another few weeks. See if they make significant weight gains beyond the 12 week point. You may be surprised. :) Also to be considered is the tenderness and flavour of the meat. We like the slightly more mature rabbits here but some people want the tender and very mild flavour of younger fryers. I suggest you try some of each and learn what works best for you.

Please do update us on your conclusions. :)

thumb rule... 1/2 lb per week. Those would be a bit small in my barn..ok quite a bit. I like to see 4.5lbs at 8 weeks, but that doesn't always happen

MaggieJ":2lmnh8fv said:
I don't weigh my fryers... I just eyeball them and slaughter between 14-16 weeks, when they get to the approximately five pound stage. Rabbits raised on natural feed do grow more slowly but they also seem to mature sexually more slowly as well so I have not had problems with their "friskiness". Just my experience. As you point out, their feed costs so little that you can get good meat at whatever point you decide to slaughter.

Since you are just getting started, I suggest you slaughter some at 12 weeks and hold the rest for another few weeks. See if they make significant weight gains beyond the 12 week point. You may be surprised. :) Also to be considered is the tenderness and flavour of the meat. We like the slightly more mature rabbits here but some people want the tender and very mild flavour of younger fryers. I suggest you try some of each and learn what works best for you.

Please do update us on your conclusions. :)

Thanks Maggie! I think I might try your suggestion and compare. Generally we favor richer flavor over tenderness here too, mostly I was concerned about them starting to fight or breed. But hearing you say 14 to 16 weeks is encouraging. I guess there's more flexibility than I had thought. Good stuff! :D

Back