Fryer age/size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevonW

Reaction score
At what age do you expect your fryers to reach 5lbs?

I've seen sizes vs age all over the place but for the most part for the most common meat breeds, online I see a lot of people expecting 4-5lbs at 12 weeks.

5 lbs by 12 weeks would be my hope too, because I have heard that feed conversion ratios start to drop off after 12 weeks, but I have butchered as early as 9.5 weeks for a smaller carcass, when I needed the room.

But I have been curious about the latest possible age to butcher a "roaster" and still end up with chewable meat...If you don't mind a slight hijack, I want to tag my question onto yours...So smarter, more-experienced-than-me people? What do you say?

Since I raise my rabbits on a natural diet of alfalfa hay/greens/grain, they do take longer to reach the 5 pound mark, anywhere from 14 - 16 weeks. We often butcher as late as 18 weeks, since we like roasters and are usually in no rush. The meat at that age is firmer than at 8-10 weeks, but we have teeth and don't mind using them. It is about the same tenderness and texture as pork tenderloin and who can complain about that? The flavour is fuller in a roaster than a fryer.

These things are a matter of personal preference and also culture. In France, roasters are preferred. In North America, it seems that most people prefer fryers. This may be because Americans and Canadians tend to fry their rabbits and you need fryers for frying... well, duh! :)

I suggest to people new to rabbits or those who have never eaten any but fryers, to hold back one or two rabbits and let them grow out to about 18 weeks. Don't fry it... Try oven roasting with autumn vegetables, a little apple juice for moisture, some herbs. If you like bacon, by all means try the pieces wrapped in bacon. If it's not to your taste, it's only one meal. It may surprise you. :)

Ive been buying litters of nzw from a commercial nzw breeder and there weight at 8 weeks so far are all ranging right around 4 pounds so by 10 weeks they should all be over 5 pounds. Ive picked out a buck from that batch that weighs 4 pounds 7 ounces. Hoping he can pass on his weight gain to his babies.

The man who had a commercial rabbitry here abouts tried for an average weight of 5lbs by under 12 weeks. He was pretty successful (new zealands). pellets only, as I understand it. 17% or higher.

I figured, with the hay and greens, that 16weeks to 5lbs live weight was fine. By 16weeks they were usually 6lbs when I went to weight them tho :)..which gave me about 4lbs meat.

My latest crop hit 5lbs at 8 weeks, They're only on pellets and assorted greens from around the house though because lately the hay at the feed store has been really sketchy (as in nasty probably not even hay the rabbits don't touch it, and they want waaay to much for it).

Latest posts

Back