Frosted Pearl Flemish Giant?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
Yes, I know, not a recognized color. I bred a sandy doe to a fawn buck and got fawn, sandy and REW. Then I bred that fawn buck to his fawn kits and got fawn, torte and what I assumed would be REW. However, now the eyes are open the REW kits do NOT have red eyes! They are grey or possibly blue. I also noticed the noses are slightly darker than i remembered. The rabbit calculator says I could get frosted pearl with this breeding. Could this be what I am seeing?

I am loving all these colors!

AAARRRGGGHHH! I forgot the rule! I will try to remember pictures tonight! <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 06, 2015 7:58 am __________ <br /><br /> So, rabbit peoples...is this a frosted pearl rabbit? I have a picture of the nose and the eyes. The nose show the beginnings of darker fur just starting to appear.

ac4d97f6dd89dceb76b96a57fb66a0ce.jpg

e9778f06a3ff7f68a06396230a9a0b4e.jpg

I'd say it's a frosted Pearl (usually used in angoras) AKA frosty AKA ermine (A_ B_ cchd_ D_ ee) as it doesn't look dark enough to be sallander (aa B_ cchd_ D_ ee) and sable point ( aa B_ cchl_ D_ ee) is HIGHLY unlikely in Flemish

If you are getting torts then sallanders are a definite possibilty - they look like a black and white instead black and orange versions of tort

The torte kit I have is a blue torte, I think. I do have Sallander but not in this line of rabbits. However, I have bred one of the bucks who's sister produced torte to my sallander doe. Kits are due on the 22nd and I am hoping for more sallander.

Could I mail one to you, Dood?

Schipperkesue":32yk76rc said:
So, rabbit peoples...is this a frosted pearl rabbit? I have a picture of the nose and the eyes. The nose show the beginnings of darker fur just starting to appear.
Wow! All my years with Flemish I've never seen anyone come up with this color. That is one gorgeous bunny!

Well, considering that I breed for meat and not show I am not too concerned about SOP colors. To me the FG's premier trait is size, and I don't have that in these buns. However, there may be someone else working on other colors who also has the size that may be interested in what these buns can produce.

I expect the color to grow and intesify as they age. I will have to share pictures as they grow up.

Pretty pretty!

That is what the one buck looked like that was bred to my Fawn w/brindle doe that threw a bunch of harlequins (I bought her bred, she is not pb FG although she was sold as one).
I keep describing him as being white with smudgy grey points... He was also purported to be FG ;).

I am keeping two of the does from the litter (harle and very large) to see what happens with my light grey buck-- obviously not for show ;). So I'll be following your colour adventures closely!

I like that they are a white rabbit which is good for butchering, and yet they have interesting markings and do not have that off putting red eye.

*Warning*. Long rambling post. I split it up and put part of it in the hopping mad section as it was not appropriate for this thread.
I'm typing this quickly out on my phone, so it may not be well written/edited 

You can message me if you like Sue. 
My frosts haven't really darkened up with too much ticking. Some have more frosting then others. That white has a darker nose then some of my post ones. So he might darken more then the ones i've had so far. I have a full grown frosted doe that should kindle soon....so that will be interesting. 
Yeah.....My line is not pure somwhere back there... I've been heavily working on my guys each year but my litters still vary greatly in size etc. In the same litter i will get a kit that grows to 13 and it's litter mate will be 16. 16..Still small. But getting better. But as of this spring i might take a big step back on improving and just switch to enjoying them personally. 
I think there is Standard Rex or something else in my guys in more then a few rabbits i've purchased. Not intentionaly with me...and i believe their was no ill intent with the sellers either. Just pure lack of experience on both sides. 
I believe a couple does I had/have (still have one) that were purchased originally from Southern Manitoba from an established Flemish meat line have rex in hidden in there. 
Also, i used my buck, Butters....a crap ton....and he threw lots of colours. Whats weired is I seemed to get those whites and fawns pop up in numerous does that weren't related to each other or him.  Butters always seemed to give me a few fawns and whites each year, scattered throughout the litters. When I started playing with those strange colours...the colours got more weired. Then the Astrex fur thing really thru me for a loop. I originally thought it was from a Checkered giant buck. But Butter's kits, when bred siblings to each other produced the fur too. As did the Checkered. I dont know....
I've gotten funky hair and funky colours. It's fun, yet all kinda disheartening at the same time!! 
I started with purchasing Flemish from breeders rather then auctions. I thought that would be safer. But, My mistake was purchasing from breeders whom they themselves were pretty new to the Flemish breed...so we were basicaly a bunch of newbies staring at a "biggish" lookin rabbits. 

Maybe i gotta flip my attitude towards this. I could be having more fun if i gear it that way. Some of my worst rabbits (type wise) are actually my favourites...mother skills and personality...i cant bring myself to butcher such well serving girls. So maybe i should relax and change my outlook. 

You are right Sue, about the red eye thing. Sooo many people hate them. Which is partly why I stopped with the New Zealand Whites. Personally i think red eyes are really pretty. But many find it creepy.
 I find in this coat colour that their fur and skin to be more fly-back and the hide thickens (matures) a tiny bit faster in a fly back coat ...making them ever so slightly harder to peel. But we also end up with less hair on the carcass. The roll back fur gets everywhere.

If I do get more of those whites popping up in litters I could always give you a heads up, Sue; You could give them somwhere else to go other then my freezer? ...even if they ultimately only make it to YOUR freezer...lol.
Or if i could contact you if i decide to rehome my adult frosted doe? This will be her first kindling. I might decide to keep a baby and not use her. I would rather rehome her then butcher her.
Maybe we could get a more established line going. I don't mind supplying any little frosted dudes i happen to get if you wanna play around with them. You and that other person. :)

It will be interesting to see what the adult frost i have now kindles. I butchered my two original Flemish bucks last fall. So I am using their sons this year. If i ever get my arse in gear.

Jess

I have tons of those just in the opposite size range. :lol:

My frosty ND darken up. This is a lilac doe and her blue buck offspring who got even more color since these pics

I've had plenty of sable based frosties out of my magpie Mini lops and they have much more "frosting" :mrgreen:

I've only had a handful of chinchilla based frosties and they are nearly pure white. I plan on keeping a 1/4 AmChin 3/4 Mini Lop kit as his ears are lopping nicely and he is staying small so I'll get to see if they stay white after 16 weeks

Thanks for that long and rambling post, JDWest. I am loving my FG from you and was planning to give you a call looking for more. Your info gives me much more insight into what I have...and I like what I have!

Latest posts

Back