Frosted new kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Alaska Satin ... so we were talking frosted pearl .. ermine....I have 2 of these. The male I picked up for my friend, from Tiffany's did not have the silver body guard hairs. This is him here. Just the frosted points. Your thoughts please? Are they all essentially non-extension chinchilla? 20240212_140634.jpg20240212_140617.jpg

Last edited:
@Alaska Satin ... so we were talking frosted pearl .. ermine....I have 2 of these. The male I picked up for my friend, from Tiffany's did not have the silver body guard hairs. This is him here. Just the frosted points. Your thoughts please? Are they all essentially non-extension chinchilla? View attachment 39636View attachment 39637
Yes, non-extension chinchilla c(chd)_ ee (or possibly non-extension sable c(chl)_ ee) is the only way I know to get dark eyes on a white rabbit. Although I suppose you could theoretically also get that on a charlie EnEn, that doesn't seem to be in play here. These bunnies can't be himalayan because a dominant c(h) would produce pink eyes (though they could certainly carry it).

Ermines/frosties can have a tremendously wide variation in how much frosting they display. I've had some ermine Satins with absolutely no color anywhere except their eyes, while others have only a little edging along their ears, and still others look relatively heavily ticked like Czech Frosties (sometimes all in the same litter). Without knowing anything else, I'd guess these are sable frosties, if only because sables are naturally shaded, so you might expect to see more color on the points and less ticking on the body relative to a chin frosty. But that's just a guess - it would take a test breeding to convince me either way.

Last edited:
Yes, non-extension chinchilla c(chd)_ ee (or possibly non-extension sable c(chl)_ ee) is the only way I know to get dark eyes on a white rabbit. Although I suppose you could theoretically also get that on a charlie EnEn, that doesn't seem to be in play here. These bunnies can't be himalayan because a dominant c(h) would produce pink eyes (though they could certainly carry it).

Ermines/frosties can have a tremendously wide variation in how much frosting they display. I've had some ermine Satins with absolutely no color anywhere except their eyes, while others have only a little edging along their ears, and still others look relatively heavily ticked like Czech Frosties (sometimes all in the same litter). Without knowing anything else, I'd guess these are sable frosties, if only because sables are naturally shaded, so you might expect to see more color on the points and less ticking on the body relative to a chin frosty. But that's just a guess - it would take a test breeding to convince me either way.
Test breeding to? A Rew? Also, would one be more likely to get this colour -silver/light gray from a non extention chinchilla than a non extention sable? Because of the colour dilution? Both of my kits have more ticking and colour on their body and points than the boy. Which as it appears is luck of the draw. All have Muffins May as dam or grand dam. So the "Black" sire of this boy kit (the kit who in reality is Cc's biological brother separated by litters) is Aa_Bb_c_ D_ e(s)_something... is very steel tipped. I was surprised when I saw him this time as he appeared lighter. Either or I guess as Muffins May was very chinchilla looking. I should have looked closer at her coat.

Last edited:
Test breeding to?
If you breed to a REW cc (as long as you know that the REW isn't ee - don't use a REW from a red line or you might be back at square 1, trying to decide if it's a sable point or a sallander!), you will hopefully be able to see what your rabbit carries at both C loci. I say "hopefully" because genetics is statistical, so you may not get all possible colors out of a single mating.

If your rabbit is chinchilla
c(chd)c(chd), you'll get chinchillas c(chd)c
c(chd)c(chl)
you'll get chinchillas c(chd)c and/or sables c(chl)c
c(chd)c(h)
you'll get chinchillas c(chd)c and/or himis c(h)c
c(chd)c
you'll get chinchillas c(chd)c and/or REWs cc

If your rabbit is sable
c(chl)c(chl) you'll get sables c(chl)c
c(chl)c(h)
you'll get sables c(chl)c and/or himis c(h)c
c(chl)c
you'll get sables c(chl)c and/or REWs cc

So you can see that this might not be completely informative, for instance if your rabbit is c(chd)c(chl) you can get sables as well as chins. And there may be some other gene interactions due to alleles at other loci - e(j), for instance, always seems to mess things up! - but I think a REW would be my first test. I'll think more about what might complicate things, though.

Last edited:
If you breed to a REW cc (as long as you know that the REW isn't ee - don't use a REW from a red line or you might be back at square 1, trying to decide if it's a sable point or a sallander!), you will hopefully be able to see what your rabbit carries at both C loci. I say "hopefully" because genetics is statistical, so you may not get all possible colors out of a single mating.

If your rabbit is chinchilla
c(chd)c(chd), you'll get chinchillas c(chd)c
c(chd)c(chl)
you'll get chinchillas c(chd)c and/or sables c(chl)cn
c(chd)c(h)
you'll get chinchillas c(chd)c and/or himis c(h)c
c(chd)c
you'll get chinchillas c(chd)c and/or REWs cc

If your rabbit is sable
c(chl)c(chl) you'll get sables c(chl)c
c(chl)c(h)
you'll get sables c(chl)c and/or himis c(h)c
c(chl)c
you'll get sables c(chl)c and/or REWs cc

So you can see that this might nit be completely informative, for instance if your rabbit is c(chd)c(chl) you can get sables as well as chins. And there may be some other gene interactions due to alleles at other loci - e(j), for instance, always seems to mess things up! - but I think a REW would be my first test. I'll think more about what might complicate things, though.
So ideally. I would breed CC to a Rew? And a frostie kit to a Rew ? W/o the red line ee
Thanks!!!! More to think about!

So ideally. I would breed CC to a Rew? And a frostie kit to a Rew ? W/o the red line ee
Thanks!!!! More to think about!
Yes, I think I'd try CC with a REW that you feel pretty certain is not ee. I'd also look for one that is from agouti lines, because if it's a self aa, that might further muddy the answers. The goal is to get him to produce either chinchillas or sable chinchillas (and if he produced both, you'd know he was c(chd)c(chl)).

The other test you could do would be to breed him with a seal, which I'm thinking would be a lot harder to find than a REW. If CC is sable point, you'd get seals and sables. If CC is chin, you'd get self chins (which would look like blacks) and something else (seals or sables) depending on what he carries at the second C locus. Again, though, statistical probability being what it is, you might not get the diagnostic seals or self chins, and instead just by chance you could get litters of sables from either scenario.

Yes, I think I'd try CC with a REW that you feel pretty certain is not ee. I'd also look for one that is from agouti lines, because if it's a self aa, that might further muddy the answers. The goal is to get him to produce either chinchillas or sable chinchillas (and if he produced both, you'd know he was c(chd)c(chl)).

The other test you could do would be to breed him with a seal, which I'm thinking would be a lot harder to find than a REW. If CC is sable point, you'd get seals and sables. If CC is chin, you'd get self chins (which would look like blacks) and something else (seals or sables) depending on what he carries at the second C locus. Again, though, statistical probability being what it is, you might not get the diagnostic seals or self chins, and instead just by chance you could get litters of sables from either scenario.
Thanks!!!! I will keep my eye out. I'm not familiar with many Nz breeders here. The 3 I know, well we all shop at the same store. Which means there's a trace of red on Muffin May side. I will checkout Milkshake's pedigree. However, I believe that I will need to go outside the line. Even the rabbits I checked out in Wyoming were related.

Latest posts

Back