French Cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albert

Reaction score
So, I thought you guys might find it interesting to know how the French cage their rabbits. I doubt anyone is going to want to change to a different system and it might make you feel good about yours.

Wire cages are available but most people here (except me) use concrete sectional cages. I guess because they're good at insulating against the heat and they're pretty much indestructible. They are also wildly expensive in my opinion.

I've included a pic so you can see what they're like. Obviously they're crazy heavy and a set of six which is like the starter pack will set you back €900 which I think is about a cool $1000+

produit_299.0088.jpg

That sounds horrid! Concrete is always damp. That is why you have to use treated wood against concrete because normal wood will rot from the moisture. I might use it maybe for the floor but even that ... it just is awful. If you really wanted concrete cages I would think you could make some very cheaply, a bag of concrete is under $10.

Yuck

- Liz

That sounds horrid! Concrete is always damp. That is why you have to use treated wood against concrete because normal wood will rot from the moisture. I might use it maybe for the floor but even that ... it just is awful. If you really wanted concrete cages I would think you could make some very cheaply, a bag of concrete is under $10.

Yuck

- Liz
There is something about the French cages that we're not understanding. If we get more detail about their construction and daily use, we might end up thinking that they have some good ideas.

There is something about the French cages that we're not understanding. If we get more detail about their construction and daily use, we might end up thinking that they have some good ideas.
I'm always open to new ideas and I thought people here might find it interesting. Obviously a lot depends on climate and to some extent the culture of rabbit keeping in your country. Like everyone around here my house is built out of granite with walls that are just shy of 3ft thick. Cool in the summer and holds the heat in the winter. Maybe there's a similar line of thinking around concrete cages? I do know that the floors have a slight run off to the rear with a gap for wet waste to drain but that still leaves a lot of cleaning to be done.

i found that really interesting. If you trained with a litter box it wouldn't be that hard to keep them clean. And if you put them on a slight incline you could keep moisture draining out. lots of animals are kept in concrete pens, a deep litter bedding keeps them dry. I haven't actually seen any rabbits kept in them to know how they are kept. Does anyone have a video of how rabbits are kept in them other than how they build them?

i found that really interesting. If you trained with a litter box it wouldn't be that hard to keep them clean. And if you put them on a slight incline you could keep moisture draining out. lots of animals are kept in concrete pens, a deep litter bedding keeps them dry. I haven't actually seen any rabbits kept in them to know how they are kept. Does anyone have a video of how rabbits are kept in them other than how they build them?
LOL I didn't think about litter . . . that's an improvement but it is still dampish.

I watched the video, thanks for posting this. You'd need a fork lift to move that 4-cage unit! It is nice concrete work, too. And your great-grandchildren would still be able to use those cages. The individual units look sort of tall, so I wonder if they are using a deep litter system with these, as Ladysown suggested.

I've seen these in France - after time the wire fronts rust through but I guess they can be replaced. I have a feeling they were originally government subsidised so that anyone could keep rabbits for meat.

So, I thought you guys might find it interesting to know how the French cage their rabbits. I doubt anyone is going to want to change to a different system and it might make you feel good about yours.

Wire cages are available but most people here (except me) use concrete sectional cages. I guess because they're good at insulating against the heat and they're pretty much indestructible. They are also wildly expensive in my opinion.

I've included a pic so you can see what they're like. Obviously they're crazy heavy and a set of six which is like the starter pack will set you back €900 which I think is about a cool $1000+

View attachment 28978
I found it really interesting how they are built. I'm sure there are advantages as well as disadvantages. I would think air circulation and light would be my concern as well as how the doors are hung (pins should oppose for safety). Cleaning...hmm seems like a lot of work. Perhaps concrete is plentiful. I am sure they would work better in different parts of the world.

I've seen these in France - after time the wire fronts rust through but I guess they can be replaced. I have a feeling they were originally government subsidised so that anyone could keep rabbits for meat.
You may well be correct unfortunately my French currently doesn't stretch that far to ask about their history in that much detail.

I often see second hand units for sale but I'm not a fan of them as a cage in general. The wire fronts are always rusted as you said, plus the thought of dismantling and shifting them just makes it a complete non starter.

You may well be correct unfortunately my French currently doesn't stretch that far to ask about their history in that much detail.

I often see second hand units for sale but I'm not a fan of them as a cage in general. The wire fronts are always rusted as you said, plus the thought of dismantling and shifting them just makes it a complete non starter.
I really am glad you posted, I found it interesting... if not or use with rabbits but an idea for something in the future. The gates, I didn't think about the rusting...but you have a point there. I was referring to the pins installed in the same direction allowing the gate to be lifted off just as the man dropped it on. Some talented & tricky rabbit could be roaming the countryside!

Last edited:
In a dry climate, the concrete hutches would probably work pretty well for keeping the buns cooler. The concrete parts should be very durable, although, as mentioned, the metal can rust. Probably best to seal the concrete with something, though. Unsealed concrete could absorb all sorts of things.

In our climate, sub-tropical with high humidity, even pressure treated wood rots when in contact with concrete. Not with stone, though, stone is much less porous than concrete. There's probably about half a zillion different ways to construct bunny hutches. Which is best would be determined by where and who and which bunnies, most likely?

In a dry climate, the concrete hutches would probably work pretty well for keeping the buns cooler. The concrete parts should be very durable, although, as mentioned, the metal can rust. Probably best to seal the concrete with something, though. Unsealed concrete could absorb all sorts of things.

In our climate, sub-tropical with high humidity, even pressure treated wood rots when in contact with concrete. Not with stone, though, stone is much less porous than concrete. There's probably about half a zillion different ways to construct bunny hutches. Which is best would be determined by where and who and which bunnies, most likely?
Hmm... which one do I fancy? I can use concrete cages or I can live in Hawaii? That's not a tricky decision :)

p.s. Love your website (y)

Latest posts

Back