freezer size question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
We have the opportunity to buy either a half or whole hog from a guy hubs works with, I would like to buy the whole hog but I don't know how much freezer space I will need. We have a large freezer I don't remember the cubic feet, but it is almost 5 ft long, 3 ft tall, 2 ft width. We also of course have the fridge freezer, but that is not too big.

Right now the freezer is about half full of chicken, but I am going to grind up some of it to try and make more room.

So do you think we have enough room for a whole hog or should we go with a half a hog this year and maybe look into getting another freezer for next year?

You could ask how many boxes of pork and the box dimensions to get a better idea of the space you need

Our whole hogs are close to 200 pounds of meat/muscle/bone so I don't think you have enough space and may not have enough for a half if it's a bigger pig :shock:

We raise our own pigs as well as rabbits. One of the advantages of the rabbits is that the meat doesn't come in all at once but at intervals through the year. But to answer your question (in my usual way by asking more questions) how large was the pig? and how is the meat cut/packaged. The more boneless cuts the less space it takes up--it can really make quite a difference. Happy eating!

I am not really sure how its packed, but I think hubs said between 150-200 pounds. This is the first time we have ever bought meat like this so I really don't know what I am doing. :oops: I know hubs said that the guy said something about ham steaks blade steaks, roasts, pork chops, shank, tender loin smoked ham, and bacon, also bratwursts. I will have to ask him to find out some more specifics. I am not exactly sure when we are getting it, just that they are going to butcher the next cold snap, which may be next week sometime. My in laws are willing to store some meat in their freezer and I can sell some of it to my brother if needed :hmm:

Also next year they will have beef, they didn't do beef this year due to medical problems with his dad. I think I may need 2 new freezers :lol:

I don't have a pressure cooker yet, that is on the list of things to get with our tax refund :lol:

JessicaR":90mkyznp said:
I don't have a pressure cooker yet, that is on the list of things to get with our tax refund :lol:

Hubby has promised I can get a pressure canner with our as well. He blinked a few times when I showed him a All American but didn't say no.... :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Hubs talked to him, and he said since we have never done this before he is going to let us know when they are going to butcher our hog so we can come over and he will explain what the different cuts are and we can kind of get an idea of how much meat we will end up with and what we think will fit our freezer.

I had two hogs butchered this past fall. one weighed 165 the other 185. when I got the meat back it filled one upright freezer and about 1/4 of the other upright freezer. so, depending on how big your freezer is, you might be fine. there again, it also depends on how the meat is packaged.

I think you will be fine. We have a freezer about the same size, and if I remember correctly, our hog(s) only took up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the space.

JessicaR":6ql26rv7 said:
I think I may need 2 new freezers :lol:

We have two! :p One year we butchered a steer and two and a half hogs (split one with some friends), so the one freezer just didn't cut it. :roll:

Latest posts

Back