Freezer Camp - It had to happen someday

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessguy

Reaction score
Well. I did it.
Yesterday, I sent two rabbits, from my first and only litter so far, to freezer camp.
I was surprised by a few things:
-the broomstick method is a lot easier in practice than it is to understand on the web.
-the emotions (remorse, mainly) are kept in check when the process is handled matter-of-factly.
-pulling the shirt off feels like touching warm "tacky" wet paint
-the first one takes a lot longer than the second one.

These were from a Lionhead doe and PalominoxChinchilla buck. The fryers weigh about 3-3.5lbs at 8 weeks. The hind quarters dress out fine, but they have practically no fore-quarters.

I'm doing the last 4 on Sunday. Then its back to crossing my fingers that the last breedings took. Otherwise, I've got 2 NZW that are heading to "camp", on their 3rd miss.

hopefully they didn't miss.... adults are harder to do than the youngsters. :)

but well done. you got it done. :) and I had that as a first time experience too.

What did you use for your broomstick? I learned over time that a thin object works better than an actual broomstick does. I use a piece of rebar.

I used an actual broomstick. I was looking for my piece of rebar, but couldn't find it (I must have chucked it when I last cleaned out the garage... It may turn up still).

Why do you say adults are harder? Are they physically harder? Or emotionally harder?

Physically harder - the skin doesn't come off as easily, but if you use a sharp knife and just cut away the connective tissue as you go (hold the blade parallel to the meat and slice gently or you'll hack it up), it's not too bad.

You won't get much meat on the forequarters on any rabbit - front legs are a lot like chicken wings. :D Loins and hindquarters have the most meat.

Well done, Guinnessguy! :goodjob:

The best use I have found for the rib sections and front legs is soup. I package about 3 front quarters together for the purpose and it makes a nice potful. I throw the sections into a crockpot with a bay leaf and some herbs, whole black pepper and a couple of cloves and add water and a cup of so of apple juice. Makes an awesome broth. Take the parts out after a couple of hours and remove and save the meat. Then put the bones back to finish the broth. After the broth is strained, add your vegetables, rice or barley or whatever. When the soup is nearly done, add the chopped meat. That way it still has flavour.

Congratulations! I can attest to older rabbits being harder. Because of a move, we didn't do our first litter until around 24 weeks. Boy, was that skin stuck! There was no pulling it off like a shirt, it was more of a slow peel assisted by a knife like HCF said.

The ribs do make good soup. Rabbit broth is wonderful, too. I'm thinking this next batch I'm going to cut up the front legs and freeze them all together for a night of Bunny Wings!

Back