Freebie Mini Rex :) *Pic Added!*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
So, a couple of teenage girls that bought pet rabbits from me contacted me this past week and said they caught a rabbit that has been running loose in their neighborhood for a couple of months. They asked if I'd take it and find it a good home and I agreed. I believe what they found is a Mini Rex. It's a black otter doe that weighs 5 pounds. For running loose for 2 months she's in excellent condition. She's not thin at all, no mites or fleas that I can see (although I dusted her down with DE just to be sure) and is really very friendly and sweet! I guess her nails were quite overgrown and the girls trimmed them, but her front feet are a bit raw and a little fur - less. I would think from not being on wire for so long they'd be fine but I'm thinking that the missing fur could be due to the overgrown nails? Is 5 pounds a bit big for a Mini Rex? My oldest wants to keep her...of course! LOL But, with having 3 breeds already and recently expanding my Holland herd by 3 new does (I'll have to post pics soon of my new girls!) I really don't want to get into Mini Rex, especially since she's obviously unpedigreed. I may take her to the ARBA show at the fair this week and see how she does and try to sell her there.

Congrats on the "find!" Sounds like a cute bunny! Might be a bit big for a Mini Rex...I'm feeling lazy so I didn't run upstairs to check the SOP but Google tells me this:

Senior Bucks - 6 months of age and over, weight 3 to 4 1/4 pounds. Ideal weight is 4 pounds. Senior Does - 6 months of age and over, weight 3 1/4 to 4 1/2 pounds. I deal weight is 4 1/4 pounds. Junior bucks and does - Under 6 months of age, maximum weight 3 3/4 pounds. Minimum weight is 2 pounds.

So she may be oversized...possibly non-dwarf brood doe?

I thought you might appreciate my post Kyle! :)

Thanks for the info...I was thinking the same thing, that she might be a BUD, or brood doe. Maybe she's been pigging out on clover or other greens? LOL If you lived closer I'd give her to you...she's really quite pretty! And sooooo soft! LOL

Big brood does are an AWESOME asset...wish I was closer too! ;) I'm sure you can find someone who'd love to have her though.............that is if you don't end up bitten by the Mini Rex bug!!! ;)

You know you want 'em, they're soooo soft and squishy and cute... :)

Pics? :popcorn:

If only my great-grandparents were coming down sooner (snowbirds they are, in Ohio in summer and down South in winter). XD Mind you, I'm hoping to get a show quality MR for my next asset, but ermygosh otters. I love them so much. :lol: I hope you find a great home for her!

I'll try to post a pic of her soon! I'll send my son out to take one now. :)

Aww! I'm glad she is safely off the streets!

Can't wait to see a pic. :camera:

Here she is! My son wants to call her Plush and keep her. I just really don't want to add another breed! LOL She is soooo squishy though... :p

Attachments

• Plush.jpg
    Plush.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,674
How pretty! I would be tempted to keep her as well. :)

But then I already have Rex, "Leonis Rex", Jersey Woolys, Beveren, and American Blues.

I'm not quite sure how it happened, either. :?

MamaSheepdog":13dj4o3o said:
How pretty! I would be tempted to keep her as well. :)

But then I already have Rex, "Leonis Rex", Jersey Woolys, Beveren, and American Blues.

I'm not quite sure how it happened, either. :?

Isn't that the truth. I finally sold all the Mini Rex and Hollands. I do miss them though.

Haha! You all are no help at all! LOL I'm thinking if I sell her at the fair I could recoup some of my admission cost to the fair and entry fees on the show rabbits...

Awww But if you do that she'll be sad :weep: !!! OK just kidding. :twisted: That is a good idea.
She's a pretty girl! :) Good luck! :clover:

Latest posts

Back