Free Feeding Colony Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Do you free feed your colony rabbits? The cage raised rabbits that I just processed had a lot of fat in them even though I haven't changed my feeding habits since the beginning. I've processed a lot of rabbits here and never had a fat problem so I"m not sure why these were fatty. I've always fed my buns a controlled amount of pellets.

These rabbits that are outside will have a lot more room to run around in plus they will likely burn more fat keeping warm outside this winter. They will also have straw to freely nibble on so should I continue to feed them a measured amount of pellets or just keep the feeder full and let them burn off the calories by running around and keeping warm?

Straw has zero to nearly no nutritional value, do not count it in their feeding.
I do not free feed my colonies, but mine have grass to eat at all times.
Best way of feeding any animal is to feed a little and see if it needs more or not. If so, up the feeding amount some and keep doing that until you find the right amount.

I free feed hay - alfalfa and grass hay - but only give a measured amount of grain. The amount of greens varies with the seasons. If you are feeding pellets and straw for fibre, I would suggest sticking to about the amount you would normally feed... and then adding just a touch more since they are in together and may not share equally. If you can get some grass hay, you could give them a generous amount of that. It will not make them fat.

Older rabbits like the ones you butchered yesterday often have more fat. They seem to accumulate it particularly in the body cavity and over the shoulders.

i'd continue to measure feed and then a 1/2 cup extra per three rabbits. EXCEPT during those weeks of I"m crazy hungry (here that's around 8-9 weeks of age, then I give a 1/2 cup extra per two.

Right now I'm free feeding.....I'll let you know how it turns out...but it looks like they may be getting a bit chunky. They have as much alfalfa/grass hay mix as they want, and then a feeder of pellets. I'm thinking of switching over to grains though....not sure if I want to yet or not.

Back