Four does kindled yesterday=49 kits. (Photos Added)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy

Reaction score
A bumper crop of kits! Of course, they lost a few. I ended up with 43 "wigglers"! Which is still a hefty number for them to raise. So much for my theory of breeding several does at the same time, so I can "even-out" the litters. LOL. I've got two more does that are due today.

One of my older does had 9 kits two days ago.

Well over 250 head of youngsters in the pens now. All the way from shipping-size to newborns.

My feed bill is becoming quite large! :x :x I need to get some shipped so I can replenish my banking account.

grumpy.

WOW! Congrats grumpy!

Yeah, it's all about cash flow! Get it coming in. Your girls are sure doin their part! :D

That is nice to average over 10 live per litter!

grumpy":1g42j3dl said:
So much for my theory of breeding several does at the same time, so I can "even-out" the litters.

Poor, poor Grumpy. *Sniff* :cry:

You've been breeding and culling for good producers for so long, you don't have any poor ones left. *Sigh* What a terrible predicament... just terrible. :roll:

Congrats on the bumper crop of kits. :p

You might have to start offering your snake man "pinkies" since your does are no longer "playing nice"! ;)

:congratulations: That is a huge number of kits!!! :p Here I thought I had a lot with 8 and another doe due on the 22nd. I think we need some pictures of all of these little cuties you have at home now. I love me some baby pictures. :D

When I put this rabbitry together, I "tried" to think of all things to make taking care of the stock.....easier. Even down to the nest boxes. All doors are the same...all nest boxes are the same. I can pull the box out of the pen and it will tip forward and "lock" into the door opening. Nosy does, ornery does, are unable to interfere with whatever I need to do.

Look real close at the back of the nest box...You'll see a 7 inch long spacer 3/4" of an inch thick. When the nest box is slid all the way to the back, that spacer fills in the gap under the water line. Over the course of a year, you would be amazed at how many youngsters fart around and get "Stuck" behind the box and DIE!! Those little pieces of wood will save me dozens of dollars. I have those spacers on both sides of the box. They're a universal fit throughout the rabbitry.
The doe just to the right of #RK-025 is one of the three does that "built" this rabbitry. #C-01 had 9/saved 9. I have "no-idea" how old she is. She's the grand-mother to #25 on the dam side.

This is RK-025. One of the best does in the herd. She had 10/saved 10.
Half of her left ear is missing. She's tattooed in the right ear.
SANY0009_zps43afe115.jpg

Here's one box of youngsters. It's like trying to count a can of worms!
SANY0014-1_zps73af2a3a.jpg

Another.
SANY0013-1_zps1010009e.jpg

And another.
SANY0011-1_zpscfdfdbda.jpg

And yet...another.
SANY0010-2_zps29cdef9f.jpg

Another with some kits about 17-19 days old.
SANY0008-1_zpsc4bc846a.jpg

A pic from the north end of the breeding room looking south.
My feed room is at the far end.
SANY0004-1_zps097e71c5.jpg

I was "OFF" on my count!! LOL

49 Seniors
19 Juniors
87 In the grow-out pens (Add 20 I butchered a few days ago)
119 Newborns and kits still with mama
274 Head total.

That sounds like a lot! But overall, I'm not satisfied thus far with my production. Some of my really top does have failed to conceive. These were "baby-making" machines up until late last fall. Hopefully, they'll kick in and justify their existence within the herd.

Otherwise.....it's "Adios" ladies.

Grumpy.

Hey, nice big litters you got there. Just curious, do you still hit your market weight in the same amount of time? I'm talking an 11 kit litter compared to say a 7 kit litter. Or don't you get smaller litters? I notice the one box she nested up front and not in the deep back. Is that her routine?

ZRab":30xqr4ok said:
Hey, nice big litters you got there.

Just curious, do you still hit your market weight in the same amount of time? I'm talking an 11 kit litter compared to say a 7 kit litter.
No...I don't. Unfortunately the larger litters gain less than say a litter of 7 or 8.

Or don't you get smaller litters?
LOL...That's the reasoning behind breeding 4-5 does at the same time. I can foster kits to does with smaller litters. BUT...it didn't work this time. As a rule, I'll have one with less kits. Law of averages, I suppose.

I notice the one box she nested up front and not in the deep back. Is that her routine?
Yep...that doe has historically littered in the front of her nest box. I've moved them to the back, time after time. Yet, they work themselves to the front of the box after a day or so. Amazingly, the doe does not trample them.

grumpy.

Latest posts

Back