Found Cottontail Nest

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowsnest

Reaction score
Well, I didn't find it my shepherds did. I heard a squeak when I was out in the garden with the dogs. Sure enough their noses had found what my eyes had totally missed. There were two kits in there, I took them from the dogs and put them back - they were totally unharmed, no blood and no wounds, my dogs are both under a year and have no "hunting experience". Eyes are closed but there is fur. Hoping the doe will still take them. Will be watching the dogs closer to make sure they don't go back and raid the nest when I am not looking. I will check on babies in a few days to see if they are ok and mom is still looking after them - cross your fingers! On a side note, it was really neat to see how a wild rabbit makes her nest, it was just a little hollow in a matte of dead weeds. LOTS if fur though. Nature is so cool. Even though I am in my mid thirties and have lived in the Mo Ozarks my entire life, this is the first wild rabbit nest I have ever come across - so awesome!!!<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:31 pm __________<br /><br />One quick question though, is it common for a wild rabbit to have white markings? The babies are agouti, but they both have white blazes down the face.....

Yes, baby cottontails often have blazes on their foreheads. I'm glad you put them back. Just as with domestic rabbits, the mother will only come to feed them once or twice a day, but she will come back for them. You did the right thing.

Thanks MaggieJ. I have never seen any baby wild buns, so I had no idea if it was "normal" or if I had come across a feral domestic bun nest. I would have been more concerned if it had been more of a burrow. I have no desire to hand raise any wild buns and I know they would most likely die anyway if I tried - they were VERY cute though! They have a much better chance with their mum taking care of them :)

Yes, a much better chance in the wild. You'll get to enjoy seeing them romping in the yard in a couple of weeks. We had one around last year that discovered a newly dug flower bed. He had a lovely time running back and forth and skidding in the dirt!

Yes, I would love to see them out and about in the yard. I just hope I can convince my GSD's that they are not food. I would hate to save them from them now, only to find my dogs have caught them later once they are out of the nest. Rhett already tried to go back to the nest a few times tonight when we were outside to go potty. Glad I was supervising - that dog never forgets anything! The baby bun nest was definitely second on his "to do" list right after going potty.

Back