found a mystery kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm_bunnyloft

Reaction score
I had the does in floor pens with a bunch of pine shavings. So today I noticed something in on of the cages that the Jerseys were in. I looked closer and it was a dead kit. Now this doe was due clear back Dec 15th. She was in a wire bottom cage then and had no kits. Zero kits, None.... :( So December 21 I put her in the floor pen with shavings. The other doe had 5 babies which all died. I scoured the pens and made sure there were no more kits anywhere.

So where oh where did this kit come from? Did she have a kit and I missed it somehow at least on day 38?

Is that even possible? How crazy is this.

And as a side note, I have had a LOT of litters born this fall and winter in colony/floor pens, and have yet to have a litter make it in this set up. of the 15 litters I have had, the four that made it were born and raised in the house in cages with a wire floor. Just thought I would share that information. I still like colonies, just not for breeding. Our FG cross pets will live in a dog kennel in our back yard that is completely covered with fine hardware cloth to keep predators out. (including wire on the floor so they cant dig out.)

tm_bunnyloft":3qh2mnvo said:
I had the does in floor pens with a bunch of pine shavings. So today I noticed something in on of the cages that the Jerseys were in. I looked closer and it was a dead kit. Now this doe was due clear back Dec 15th. She was in a wire bottom cage then and had no kits. Zero kits, None.... :( So December 21 I put her in the floor pen with shavings. The other doe had 5 babies which all died. I scoured the pens and made sure there were no more kits anywhere.

So where oh where did this kit come from? Did she have a kit and I missed it somehow at least on day 38?

Is that even possible? How crazy is this.

And as a side note, I have had a LOT of litters born this fall and winter in colony/floor pens, and have yet to have a litter make it in this set up. of the 15 litters I have had, the four that made it were born and raised in the house in cages with a wire floor. Just thought I would share that information. I still like colonies, just not for breeding. Our FG cross pets will live in a dog kennel in our back yard that is completely covered with fine hardware cloth to keep predators out. (including wire on the floor so they cant dig out.)

I just had a doe deliver a litter of NINE on day 37...so it COULD be possible...

Latest posts

Back