Fostering Chloe's final kit, did I do the right thing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdBrook

Reaction score
Well, things haven't gone as well as I'd hoped with Chloe's first litter. She did great for 2 weeks. They were well fed, growing beautifully and all seven thrived...till recently. One vanished completely, one was at the far end of the nestingbox, dead, another out of the nesting box in the cage, with incisor marks on it's head, dead. This morning, another dead kit in the nesting box, obviouslly bitten and another one completely vanished. Is Chloe killing (and eating) her kits? Only one was left...a shivering little white one. I took it from her, removed the nesting box, which Chloe had made a mess of, cleaned the kit as it had Chloe poo all over it, anointed it with vanilla, did the same to Ella's five kits and put a drop on Ella's nose, and gave that remaining kit to Ella. It's only a day younger than hers, but smaller and not nearly as lively and strong. I'm hoping for the best but ...what the heck happened with Chloe? Any guesses? Do I breed her again right away? Could it have been that the barn cats are acting up right now and she felt threatened? Could a rat maybe have gotten in her cage and done this, not the rabbit? Should I have given her a chance with the remaining kit in a different cage perhaps? The one she's in has those long narrow openings and I can see a rat maybe getting inside. It's not a good cage for babies and she will definitely be moved from it before kindling again.

It is uncommon for a doe to kill kits, especially as she was doing well with them at first. How wide are those long narrow openings? I'd guess rats. I've had them carry off chicks after burrowing for six feet under the broody house to get at them. The fact that two kits have disappeared completely points at a predator problem. Rats or possibly a weasel.

If the doe is in good condition, you can certainly rebreed her immediately. It will help dry up her milk supply. Keep an eye on her because to make sure her teats don't become engorged or she may develop mastitis. Feeding mint, sage or catnip will help reduce her milk supply.

By the way, no need to use vanilla to mask the scent of the foster kit. It's an old wives tale that a doe will reject a strange kit because it smells different.

I'm so sorry you've had this problem! :( I agree that it sounds like a predator. Chloe may have messed up her nest due to stress.

You can bring her the kit (and maybe even a couple more volunteers) once a day to let her nurse, and take off the pressure of the milk. We did this recently for a doe who lost a litter. Brought her another doe's kits once a day, then every two days, then every three. Then we waited four days, and let her nurse one final time just in case she had anything left.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it was a rat. :( Poor babies. I'll have to get some safe rat traps up in the barn.

I am putting her one REW kit back with Mama once daily (along with one of Ella's kits) to dry her off slowly and will get Chloe into a new, safe cage well before she's ready to kindle again. I rebred her to my Silver Fox buck and she was very receptive. He covered her three times within two minutes, falling off as if dead each time and then getting up and thumping the cage proudly before going at it again. She lifted every time. I got her out of there before he gave himself heart failure! I'm really liking Sullivan's kits! They're BIG and lively, not to mention the super glossy and soft coats on them. I'm anxious to see what they grow into.

Latest posts

Back