forsythia and tiger lily?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
we have tons of tiger lilys (like 5 ft by 15 ft and another smaller area that they colonized) and have 3 big bushes of forsythia in our yard plus 2 HUGE ones in my grandparents(neighbor to me) yard as well.

i thought i had read that the tiger lily was ok for the rabbits to eat but couldnt find anything about it again. and no idea on the forsythia.

thanks everyone

The 'tiger lillies'(day lilys) are fine-- leaf and flower-- small quantities. Heck, my father eats them Forsythia-- i have seen some deer eat-- but am not sure-- watch your local wildlife-- if deer or groundhogs are eating the tips, probably okay for rabbits.

It scares me when people ask about plants using ambiguous common names. Some people call day lilies (Hemerocallis) "tiger lilies" but to other people "tiger lily" means the nodding spotted orange lilies native to North America or Asia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilium_columbianum (and related species)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylily

Hemerocallis is safe for rabbits, but I find that mine don't like it much.

Frecs":bnzswe40 said:
MaggieJ":bnzswe40 said:
Hemerocallis fulva is safe for rabbits and people. :)

And my rabbits gobble them up! I want to plant a large area with them but can't afford that many at once. Hoping mine will naturalize.
Careful what you wish for!! I'm pretty sure this is what I've got, and it's taking over not insignificant portions of my yard. :p

RJSchaefer":31erx4dt said:
Frecs":31erx4dt said:
MaggieJ":31erx4dt said:
Hemerocallis fulva is safe for rabbits and people. :)

And my rabbits gobble them up! I want to plant a large area with them but can't afford that many at once. Hoping mine will naturalize.
Careful what you wish for!! I'm pretty sure this is what I've got, and it's taking over not insignificant portions of my yard. :p

Let's see...flowers to make Mother smile, flowers to feed to the rabbits, less grass to mow, good companion plant for "forest gardens"...is there a downside to this? :lol:

Back