For those with Evans software

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseysWoolies

Reaction score
Do you find the genetics predictors accurate with your litters? I have looked at the possible outcomes of my English angora breedings and some of them kind of make me raise my eyebrows. I have a couple litters due next month I can't wait to compare and actually see if any of the predictions were correct.

I just got mine too. I also have a few litters due soon. From what I understand, Evans builds the genotype of the rabbit from it's pedigree, and also it's offspring that is entered into the system. I have been trying to figure out how to manually edit the genotype - I have some known carriers and I'd like to be able to get it to reflect that without having to wait for the next litters to be entered.

Right now, with my breeders entered it is for the most part, inaccurate. My black buck does not carry chocolate, but for every black x black litter it lists chocolate as a possible outcome which isn't possible. I also get somewhat high percentages for blues - when I have specifically been very careful to select breeding stock that do not carry dilute. Lucky for me my genetics are about as simple as they come, I breed for blacks and broken blacks - and that's what I'll get.

Evans predictions show for what the parents could "possibly" carry as recessives to their phenotype. It does not take into account the ped. or the past litters of that rabbit. Its just basic generic pairing possibilities out of the two colours given.

I assumed that because of the way they color code alleles that it was taking into consideration ancestry, and litter information? Is this not the case?

It is described in the manual like this for the allele color key:

"Green were determined from the animal's specified phenotype (color).

Blue were determined from the sire's genetics.

Red were determined from the dam's genetics.

Cyan were determined from the animal's offspring

Magenta indicates that there is a conflict between the displayed allele and the genetic makeup of one or more offspring and/or parents. (To isolate the conflict, just select Informative and click on the Update Genetics button, and the program will provide additional information)."

I dont remember how, but yes-- you can enter "known" genotypes-There is a little checkbox in hte 'information' sheet for each rabbit- indicating genotype/phenotype- along with a manual way to enter the genotype.- Also, if you have the the phenotypes of related rabbits, (half siblings, grandparents, etc, you can get a more accurate prediction-- I asked for the colors/marking of some related rabbits-- entered them into the pedigree program with some fictitious names(to indicate genetics info only) and came up with an amazing difference in the 'predicted offspring coloring. What I really like, is the program pulls this information from archioved rabbits in the pedigrees-- so you are not cluttering up the page of available rabbits with non-existant or sold/replaced rabbits.

Frosted Rabbits":rb3sc3fm said:
I dont remember how, but yes-- you can enter "known" genotypes-There is a little checkbox in hte 'information' sheet for each rabbit- indicating genotype/phenotype- along with a manual way to enter the genotype.- Also, if you have the the phenotypes of related rabbits, (half siblings, grandparents, etc, you can get a more accurate prediction-- I asked for the colors/marking of some related rabbits-- entered them into the pedigree program with some fictitious names(to indicate genetics info only) and came up with an amazing difference in the 'predicted offspring coloring. What I really like, is the program pulls this information from archioved rabbits in the pedigrees-- so you are not cluttering up the page of available rabbits with non-existant or sold/replaced rabbits.

I've gotten that far - my problem seems to be the execution lol. It will ask me if I want to edit that particular allele, but when I click yes, it goes on to the next one without letting me actually edit it. It's so strange. I'm not too worried about it, the whole genetics aspect of the program is just a bonus for me....but it's a little frustrating hahaha

Latest posts

Back