For not producing enough milk

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve got a doe bred for the first time and a doe who has bred before. They had litters about a week apart. The new momma isn’t producing enough milk. I did a trial yesterday adding one kit from the low lactating litter to see if the other doe would accept. She did. There r now 8 kits with well lactating doe. How many more can I safely add? I’m planning to begin hand feeding the rest. The other non lactating litter has 8 more

What breed are they? Bigger rabbits have up to 10-12 (sometimes even 14) Kits naturally
There's also certain kinds of plants that help

I’ve got a doe bred for the first time and a doe who has bred before. They had litters about a week apart. The new momma isn’t producing enough milk. I did a trial yesterday adding one kit from the low lactating litter to see if the other doe would accept. She did. There r now 8 kits with well lactating doe. How many more can I safely add? I’m planning to begin hand feeding the rest. The other non lactating litter has 8 more
When I have does with big litters, I supplement with additional fats, usually BOSS, but I've also used oats or even Calf Manna. I'm not sure that increases milk supply per se, but it does seem to help them raise 10-12 without losing body condition themselves.

Eight kits should be within the comfort range of most does, but I wouldn't give the older doe any more than 10 if you can help it. You might find that the young doe's body figures things out as it goes, especially with additional fats so there is less of a conflict over making milk versus retaining her own body condition. Sometimes there's a little lag time as first timers get into the groove.

I have had massive success with dried nettle. You can get it at health food stores.

I'd also suggest, if you're hoping to keep as many as possible: while you're waiting for the low lactating doe to up her production, trade the best fed kits of the high lactating mom with the worst fed kits for a day or two in order to keep them all fed. Rotate them if necessary

If you need to hand feed, hand feed the best fed, giving the less fed a better chance at the healthier natural milk.

EDIT: I should add that, if you're keeping records on parentage, you need to mark who is who before you start playing the game of musical-nestboxes. Learn from my mistake, permanent marker is not permanent on a baby bunny.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back