footwear

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I posted a thing on my blog about my boots and how much I like them. ;)

But it made me wonder...

What DO people wear on their feet to care for their rabbits?
Do you have footwear specifically for barn wear? Or do you just wear whatever is available?

How did you make your decision?

If you just have a couple of rabbits does it matter?

I used to wear crocks in the summer, beaten up old shoes for spring/fall and clunky boots in the winter. I now have "my" boots and I won't give them up without a battle. :) and I still use crocks (designated for the backyard and rabbits) in the summer.

just curious about what other people do.

Well, um. For the rabbit room in the house, I go barefoot. For anything else I'd be wearing my regular boots, I suppose. (hiking type). Although....I wonder if a pair of good waterproof boots wouldn't be a good investment.

I have barn boots - cow, goat, rabbit, chicken - same pair of boots. Actually, I just invested in a pair of "Muck" boots and I love them! Not cheap, but well worth it, warm and comfortable, and easy to clean. In summer, I wear cheap running shoes, unless it's muddy, then I wear Wellies, which are a necessity in the cow barn. :shock:

I wear wellies when I'm cleaning and crocks when I'm feeding.

Annette, Wellies is another name for rubber boots.

I use crocks for my outside dutys. Ive tried to keep 1 pair for yard use and 1 pair for out in town. But with 3 kids who love to ware mommys shoes around i cant find them half the time so i use which ever pair i can find. I have a pair of old running shoes i use in the winter time hoping to upgrade to rubber boats these winter.

Wellies = Wellington boots. A British term for rubber boots. Often green in Britain, black with red soles over here.

Also a common cry heard on the cross-country courses - "Give 'im some Wellie!" if a horse is being sticky over the jumps. :D

I have a pair of Rubberized Muck boots
that I wear most often in the rabbitry.
In the summer I prefer a pair of old sneakers.
The only trouble with the Sneakers is:
You sometimes have to dig the manure out of the tracks with a stick.
Another thing is: I am not allowed to wear my rabbit shoes in the house.
I also have to wash them quite frequently so they don't become STINKY and CRISP! :laugh:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I have a pair of cut-down rubber boots that are my favourites almost year round. Easy to step in and out of. In extreme winter weather I'll put on winter boots and in extreme heat I sometimes wear crocs... but I've loved rubber boots "for play" since I was a kid. :D

I keep mine attached to my house so I go out in flip flops most of the time, though these days I have been wearing these slipper/clog thingies that are warm with rubber soles. If I am washing trays outside I am 99% of the time in a pair of older boots or my running shoes. :)

Lauren

I grew up barefoot on a farm or wearing an old pair of tennis shoes that I'd beaten the crap out of and usually no socks. I only put on boots when it was very muddy or for a horse show/event. So when it's warm enough out I'll go barefoot to the chicken coop, bunny cages, and horse pastures without even thinking about it. I have started to wear a pair of sandals about half the time but they have to have straps cause it drives me insane that I can't walk normal or run with flip flop type sandals on. In the winter I have my beat up hiking shoes that have seen more than 5 years of wear and a pair of hiking boots when the snow starts to get deep.

I am a barefoot person too. I was reading this wondering why anyone would have separate shoes...I usually have one or two pairs. Then I realized, well, duh! You go barefoot all the time Shara, of COURSE it wouldn't make sence to you.

I love bunny smell. (kinda like those people who love horse smell)

As a side note, have you ever shoved your face against a horses neck, closed your eyes and just breathed? It really is like a summer day in a feild.

I have never smelled a horse that way but I have done it to our cows and they smell good. Puppies too :D

I am also a barefoot person and I hate shoes in the summer.

I love the feel of the grass between my toes also, but I am in my last week of microbiology for nursing school right now and there is quite a lineup of gross stuff that that can penetrate skin, wounds, and mucous membranes to make people sick, especially in a farm-type environment. My professor worked for the CDC here in Atlanta for longer than I have been alive and he was telling us about hookworm cases here as an example that was so prevalent they would actually send state health workers to make sure children were getting dewormed: "Hookworm infection is mainly acquired by walking barefoot on contaminated soil." :x

It is also a lot easier to hurt your foot when there is no protection at all. I am not trying to preach or anything and everyone has a right to make their own choices, but I just wanted to put this out there for consideration.

Also, I agree about the smell thing, too. :)

Best of luck,

Lauren

eeeewwwww!!!!!!!!!!!! hookworms!?!?!

blech. lol.

thats all I can think right now (I doubt Ill put shoes on in the warm times, though, its just too ingrained.)

lol. how nasty.

Shara, in our area hookworms are less common, though there are dog versions that we can catch, they tend to be host specific and I understand our bodies tend to kill other species-types eventually without medication.

It looks like an itchy skin rash and people sometimes call it plumber's itch because they are prone to it from crawling around under houses in the dirt where animals(cats, rats, raccons, etc.) go poop. My husband the ex-plumber has had it. I would think on the east side where you are now it would get even less common because of freezing and dry summers. They like damp and warm...

Pick up dog poop near the house. Worm the dog once in a while. Watch the kiddos. WASH the kiddos, and your feet. And don't really worry too much, our immune systems are amazing and can cope with alot, and good old soap and water gets most of the rest.

Hookworms are just an example, but there are quite a few opportunistic organisms looking for a way into our bodies. Part of me wishes I didn't take the class as I look at the world in a different way now, but it was required for anyone pursuing the RN program.

Thanks!

Lauren

Hookworms are a really good example, though! I think I took the same class, but somehow what impressed me was how RARELY we get sick in spite of all the diabolically ingenious things trying to kill us/infest us. In this part of the world at least. The really nasty beasties are in the tropics, IMHO.

I love modern water treatment, too! :)

Seriously, HendricksHearth is totally right, it is amazing that we aren't deathly ill ALL the time! I, too, could probably creep you out...

Back