Foolproof Way To Sex 2wk Old Kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it so important to know
the sex of the kits at two or three weeks?
They cannot be sold till they are eight weeks old anyway,
that gives you plenty of time to be able to accurately
sex the kits. Sexing too early leave too much space for
mistaken Identity/sex. I guess I'm just not in that much of a hurry.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

general human impatience. I don't bother any more. I have a six week old litter in the pen, I haven't even looked at. mine don't mature fast enough to worry about 8 week olds, so I probably won't sex them for a while.

Well, I'd like to know so I know how many will go in each grow out pen.. if all 10 would be does I might have to wait a bit with next litter or start thinking of a plan o handle it.

Well, we had storms last night so I didn't get to piddle with the rabbits. This morning I picked up three of them and think I can feel the difference.. I hope not, though, because the little one I was hoping was a doe feels like a buck!

lol I like to check because of general impatience, and because I quite often have people asking gender and availability of the young ones via facebook. It's not 100%, and of course you can check later on, but I'd like to have an idea, myself, and be able to say "I think that one is _____, and if it is, it's (not) for sale".

I just thought it was interesting, and really wanted other people to try, to make sure I'm not just crazy ;)

Sometimes the doe's urethra or uterine tract can feel like a penis, so hopefully that's what you're feeling, TexasCharm :).

It's very interesting though.
I've driven myself crazy trying to figure out, guess if I'm right, and still ending up keeping what looks best no matter what gender. Or culling them all no matter what gender.

I have had a good track record with it myself, so thought I would share and see if others have positive results. I also have done it on older kits, when I wasn't sure of gender

I have people on waiting lists for netherlands that want to know the gender asap because they want a specific gender/color combo before they waste time waiting on my rabbits instead of finding someone else. Every now and then I also get a breeder that wants a certain combo but they are usually more willing to wait.

Back