Foolproof Way To Sex 2wk Old Kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
I've found the best way to sex babies. I've tried it as young as one week, it doesn't seem to hurt them any, and after a little practice, I found it MUCH easier than trying to do the newborn way. I am far more accurate with this method.

If you feel just ahead of the genital area, you can feel the penis on a buck. Very gently press down and run your finger from side to side, and you'll feel a tube in there. This isn't there on a doe.

Give it a try!

The Easiest way to sex any Rabbit is:
Place each individual in a Brown Paper Bag,
shake them gently. Listen closely.
The ones that RATTLE are Bucks :whistle:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I'll try that...
(both the paperbag and the first suggestion ;) )

But if its an aprils fool then youre a day late. :p

I can actually get an idea beforehand what the gender is by just looking at their head and eyes, and this gets easier when they're older.
I probably am not the only one here who does that.. :geek:

The head thing depends.

It's not always easy to tell an animal by it's head. Pretty much all of my hollands have big wide heads, not one looks more gender defined than another They aren't supposed to.
The Rex does have slightly more narrow heads than bucks, but that wont be an obvious thing until they are 4-5 months old and reaching sexual maturity. And still some does have wide heads, and that is preferred. Same for the SF, until they reach a much older age, there is not much difference in head and body size.
You can't even always tell a young dog from it's it's head. Phoenix had a very doggy head when she was a pup, but I chose her anyway, and now the head looks very feminine matching her body. After she reached sexual maturity. Boomer will be a year old in May, he still has a feminine, snipey head. His sire was a slow grower, so was his dam, to look at that head now he looks like a female, but when he reaches his maturity hopefully he will grow a head.

No, it's not April Fool's, Zab :p That's how I sex the babies, I'm right about 90-95% of the time doing it that way too.

BadHabit":1ix3wasu said:
Give it a try!
Are you offering 2 week old bunnies for us to try on! :p :lol:

Can't wait til I have some. Will definitly try it out! I always thought it was unfair that my Mom knows what her lambs are as soon as they are born. Me? I have to wait 5 weeks (the soonest I have been able to tell)!

Hark! I have two week old bunnies in the nest box... Will try that tonight and then we'll see!

Excellent! The spot I am talking about is right in front of the vent mound area. You can feel the difference on older babies. as well.

I have nearing 3 week old bunnies, think it will work?

Probably. 2 weeks is the youngest I can tell the difference between the boys and girls. Sometimes you think it's a penis, but it ends up being something else.

My guys are two weeks old today .. so I'll do it for a few days and see what I come up with .. then we'll compare when they are older. They are a mixed litter of 4 .. and all four are different colors so will be an easy test!

I'll just have to find some way to mark my black bunnies so I remember which was decided a doe and which was a buck then :p

Sky: I had a friend kill my canarie bird with fingernail polis when I was a kid.. I keep it far away from animals... and it would be sticky and icky for them, hard when it dried. :/

Well that's no good. I've heard people use it to mark dogs, I haven't used it yet.

Well she more or less poured it over the entire bird, and into the beak as well. But it's not somethig I'd try.. maybe on bigger animals and then on their claws.. :3

Dog breeders just use a dab on the back.
some put dots in the ear, but at this age, I could see that tattoo needle ripping the ear.

I use a sharpie marker ... even the blacks are lighter inside the ear and a black or blue sharpie will show up ... but has to be reapplied every few days depending on how well the baby cleans it's ears LOL

Back