Food Fight!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The kits are starting to compete a little with mama for her favorite foods. They are 3 weeks old tomorrow. Is there any danger she will go on the attack?

I feed twice daily. In the morning, I fill water and pellets. At night, they get their natural foods, usually carrots, BOSS sprouts, and rolled oats. Mama's having a hard time of it now because a few of the kits have figured out they like these things, too. :) One kit even stole a carrot right out of mom's mouth because she was distracted by another kit trying to sneak in a quick suckle and yet another going after her oats.

To compensate, I've increased the amount fed in the evening so there's plenty for everyone. Is there any danger she will attack kits trying to eat the same food she is? Anything I should do differently? Everyone is so active and healthy. Things are going really well hutch-wide. :D

Glad to hear they are all doing so well!

Most does are pretty tolerant with their kits, but I had one doe that would paw at their heads to get them out of her feed.

Put some extra bowls in there for them. I use creep feeders and will fill those with pellets (topped with my delectable grain mix!) and once the kits are feeding I fill the doe's feeder so there isn't competition.

kits at creep feeder.JPG

I see MSD is ahead of me :lol: but since my post is already written, I will submit it anyway.

I don't think the doe will harm the kits, but she may knock them around a little. You could put a temporary divider with kit-sized access (think "creep-feeder") and give the kits their greens etc. first. Once they are busy eating, give momma hers and perhaps she can eat in peace.

Extra crocks of pellets help keep the competition to a minimum for the morning feeding, but the squabbling over fresh foods will likely continue until the kits are fully weaned and have their own cage.

Latest posts

Back