Following the Retired Breeder thread...... What age?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindi Davis

Reaction score
What age do you retire does and bucks. My oldest doe is going on 2 but has only had 2 litters.

Now my main buck on the other hand that doesnt matter to me, he's here for the duration as a pet, He is going on 6 + yrs. I do have a replacement buck in the wings who will be ready for breeding in September and will only be 9 months.

Thanks in advance for you response

It's not so much a question of age, per se, it's more a case of diminishing productivity. Your buck is a case in point. As long as he can sire good litters, his age is irrelevant. Does tend to have shorter careers, but I have heard of 5-6 year old does that were still producing quite well. Here, I play it by ear... We don't have much space so less productive rabbits have to give way to younger ones.

Maggie that was kind of line I was thinking. Mischif produces nice litters still. I have a daughter of his that is a great producer at 2 yrs old. But I am keeping an eye on them to make sure they are ok. I to have limited space, Mischif however is a special case and will die an old man here.<br /><br />__________ Tue May 01, 2012 5:36 pm __________<br /><br />Maggie that was kind of line I was thinking. Mischif produces nice litters still. I have a daughter of his that is a great producer at 2 yrs old. But I am keeping an eye on them to make sure they are ok. I to have limited space, Mischif however is a special case and will die an old man here.

I had a doe that was 6 still having litters the same size.but i only breed three times a year.

My first breeder doe was 3 years old, given to me to get me started, i had her for two years, and she was still haveing good litters,,,,,i gave her to someone else to get him started. several of my other rabbits i had four years.But i think it has to do a lot with quality of feed and how often they are bred how many years they will stay productive.

My breeders says she has does at 6 who are producing decent size litters with good quality. All but one of the does I have gotten from her were 2-3 years old, producing litters of 7 and 9.

Thank you all for your answers :) Mischif has a litter of 9 with Goldie so.... He will still get first right of refusal on the does LOL. Like he would refuse hmmmm not this guy for now

Latest posts

Back