Fodder for pregnant Does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craneman54

Reaction score
I am weaning my rabbits off of pellets and growing wheat fodder as the main food for the bunnies.

Would wheat fodder be a good overall feed for pregnant does? I have Boss,calf manna and Timothy hey I can rotate along with the fodder if needed.

I have a doe that should kindle on Wednesday.(if my buck was not shooting blanks last month ;) ) I still can't tell if she is preggo but she does look a little larger in the belly. Put in a nest box with grass hay today. I didn't see her trying to make a nest though.

I'd feed pellets before calf manna. It's full of all those things you want to avoid in pellets including things that people don't even accept in their pellets like lots of corn and sugar products.

Your Ca:p may not be the desired 2:1. Usually the minimum aimed for is 1.5:1. Grain products have a reverse Ca:p. Wheat fodder is more like 1:2. Timothy is usually a little over 2:1 so that helps but it depends how much timothy versus other food items they have. Alfalfa is around 5:1 but there are concerns about fiber levels.

It is good to balance the omega 6 of boss with an omega 3 source because by itself omega 6 can be inflammatory and may contribute to many common health problems in humans like arthritis and asthma. Herbivores like rabbits do get some omega 3 out of fresh plant matter that humans can't and they break down the fatty acids in things high in omega 3 like flax, chia, nuts, and soy better than humans so it's not as big of a problem for them. I have been mixing a big tub of horse flax supplement with a little boss to feed a few times a week.

Thanks for the response.
Not being a smart*** but if you tell me what Ca:p means I may be able to understand what you are saying. Sorry I am just an OLD guy that has to take too many meds just to be able to somewhat function. My memory is shot along with most of my body. :blush:

C54,

I feed a portion of fodder each day to all of my does. Plus, I do feed pellets
as well.

Akane is talking about, (I think...LOL) Calcium to Phosphorus
ratios. That's something, after raising rabbits for four decades, I don't know
a flippin' thing about either. So, don't feel alone. I oftentimes believe a
rabbits' life becomes overly complicated by folks attempting to simplify it.

Timothy hay is a good choice. The fiber helps the gut keep moving things along.
I feed Brome hay myself. Mainly because I can buy it for $5.00 a bale and
the fella delivers it in 10-bale lots. He even pitches it up to loft above my
grow-out room when he brings it.

BOSS....I've still got a portion of the original bag I bought over 4 years ago.
I don't use it.... :lol: The herd has gotten along fine without it....so why feed it.

Calf Manna....I've heard it's pretty good. I've heard it's fairly pricey. :x :x
Consequently, I've never had a "cupful" of it on the place. I'm a tightwad.
Just another "item" that may or may not be a guarantee for success.
I would think it may put weight on a doe that isn't the kind of "weight" you
would want. It boosts a fryers weight closer to market...faster.

I would think a wheat fodder diet supplemented with a small portion of pellets
and a good handful of Timothy hay on a daily basis would be an excellent
diet for a doe. I'd keep a "Hawks-eye" on the does condition, making sure
she doesn't become underweight nursing a litter. The pellets have trace
minerals that fodder and calf manna do not.

This would be my avenue of choice because I'm running 42 working does
in my rabbitry. Keeping things simple makes my job a lot easier and less
time consuming. I'll leave all of the Alphabet problems to the experts. I don't
have time to try and figure it all out. As long as the does are healthy, in good
breeding condition and having kits on a regular basis, I figure I'm doing
things right. That's all that's really important, anyway. Isn't it?

Best of luck,
Grumpy.

Now that I can understand.LOL
The BOSS,calf mana and Timothy hay are foods I bought to try and get a new buck to eat.Was trying to save him. Didn't work so now I have all that stuff left over. I do give each rabbit about a tablespoon of BOSS about once a week as a treat. The calf mana about twice a month,still have almost a full bag. I give grass hay daily, Timothy hay seldom as I only have whats left of one square and it is expensive. I do give some type of greens almost every day, usually mustard greens or parsley. I also give a small portion of pellets daily,maybe 4oz. I also have mineral/salt block pieces in every cage. I put some ACV in their water also.

I just want (as we all do) to make sure my rabbits stay healthy at as low a cost as I can do it. ;)

Back