Flying with Rabbits: Planning for Convention

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PulpFaction

Reaction score
I'm going to try again for Convention this year and wanted to get some advice.

I want to bring several rabbits in smaller holes inside a large vari-kennel (500 series, I think?)

For flights, my options are Delta, American, United and Continental. Almost all flights have two stops and are in the neighborhood of 12 hours from Anchorage to Indianapolis.

United has the shortest and most direct routes with only one stop, and a reasonable-ish charge for the checked kennel. ($200 each way. Alaska Airlines is $100 each way, but they don't fly to Indianapolis.) It seems like they would be the way to go, but has anyone traveled with checked pets with them before?

Strategically, should I plan to arrive on Thursday to give the rabbits time to settle in, or should I arrive and coop as late as possible so they have less time to lose condition due to stress factors?

I am for taking the shortest trip possible, and permitting time for the rabbits to settle in. Front load the rabbits with plenty of stress vitamins, make sure they start the trip perhaps just a 'tad' heavy. realize, of course--weather (heat) can affect the airline's acceptance of animals for transport in the hold. Planes can sit on the tarmac for quite a while, and the AC does not necessarily function in the pressurized hold during that time. OH, insure the rabbits for a ridiculous amount--- and make sure you can check on their well being yourself-- some people who ship their dogs in the hold alert the planes captain beforehand-- and the captain will sometimes check on them before taxi-ing off and during the lay-overs.

Latest posts

Back