Fly back? Roll back? Fat back??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
Ok, 'fat back' come from pigs, but what is the difference between 'roll back' and 'fly back', or whatever it's called, fur?

Apparently it's important in mini lop coats.

Fly back is when the Fur goes immediately back to position when brushed back toward the head.
Roll back, does just that [or should] Roll slowly back into proper position.
You will know it when you see it!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Does it have more to do with length of coat, or texture?
It seems like short fur would always 'fly back'?
Weird rabbit genetics....

On Scarlett (my buck) the fur is just a little longer and fluffier than the two does I purchased. When I brush his fur toward his head, it sort of stays that way. I mean, it eventually goes back into place, but very slowly. The two does' fur seems to go back more quickly, but not as fast as the short fur on my dutch. Of course, both does still have their junior coats. I'm not sure if they will be 'fluffier' when they get their senior coats or not??

There is difference even in mini lops and some colors have longer coat than others it seems - whites and shades tend to have longer coat (at least mine do!) - which isn't ideal but not completely wrong either. your does sound like they have the ideal coat.

Your Dutch's coat is fly back - as it should have :)

Wheels":2i6gj0eu said:
There is difference even in mini lops and some colors have longer coat than others it seems - whites and shades tend to have longer coat (at least mine do!) - which isn't ideal but not completely wrong either. your does sound like they have the ideal coat.

Your Dutch's coat is fly back - as it should have :)

That's interesting... how the COLOR of the coat actually affects the texture of the coat. The buck is dilute (opal). The two does are broken chestnut and harli. I'd actually like to cultivate the fluffier coat if possible. I don't want to go down the angora path, and I know MLs have angora in their ancestory. Angora is TOO long and fluffy (for my tastes). I like the dense, soft coat.

I've been wishing I could have had these netherland dwarf rabbits' coats on my american sables. They crossed american sables to californian to bring the breed back from near disappearance and people are not paying enough attention to the coat. 3/4 are flyback when the sop calls for rollback. Some judges ignore it and some judges just keep DQ the entire table.

Stand up is what you get when things are even denser than rollback.

Most of my SF crosses have rollback right now.

Harlequins (the breed) are to have fly back, which helps the patten show up nicely.

Zass":1rjujs3p said:
Stand up is what you get when things are even denser than rollback.

Most of my SF crosses have rollback right now.

Harlequins (the breed) are to have fly back, which helps the patten show up nicely.

Hmm that's an interesting point as it's challenging to get good harlequins in mini lops. The coat may be part of the issue.

My doe (Lady) seems to have a nice harli pattern, not sure if it will pass along nicely or not. First breeding will be to my current buck (broken blue opal) and later I plan to have a nicer, typey buck to use for breeding.

Zass":2og3b65q said:

I think that is why the Satin SOP calls for flyback as well. The satin sheen looks shiniest when flatter.

Back