Fluffy's First Popples!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Fluffy was really looking gigantic this last week! I was really hoping this meant she had lots and lots of babies (but not more than she could support :) ). She delivered 9 babies, two of which were stillborn. The other 7 more than make up for it, they are so wiggly! :p

Poor Nibbles has been so confused this whole time. Once I put the nest box in, Fluffy went into hormonal pregnant rabbit mode, and Nibbles couldn't seem to find a place to keep from being trampled! Then Fluffy started pulling fur today, and Nibbles got worried.

Fluffy covers Nibbles and everything else in white fur:
image.php

Then Fluffy started delivering, and Nibbles really got worried.

"What's going on, Fluffy?"
image.php

"Fluffy? You okay, Fluffy?"
image.php

A few hours later, we pulled out the nest box, and counted seven alive:
image.php

Pearl and Squeak have spoiled me, delivering their litters and cleaning up thoroughly. Fluffy cleaned up some, but the babies had fur stuck to them with a little blood, and I had to remove a big clump of hay and fur from the box which was wet and had some leftover stuff in it -- and I found the second stillborn kit in there. It was very small, so I guess it just wasn't ready yet. :(

The other stillborn kit was full size, but its chest felt strange, like it had an unusually large sternum that wasn't attached much of anywhere, and moved about the chest easily. I rubbed on the kit a little, but there was no reviving it.

So, is 9 with 7 alive a good start for a NZW bred to a mutt buck? :p

desertbunnies":1mk2y995 said:
Very cute! They look like little pigs:)
:lol:

I was wondering how strong the albino genes were, and now I know... not a single white in the bunch! The full-size stillborn one was a broken, and I couldn't tell with the little one.

Nice! well you know 2 things now.... the black buck most likely doesn't carry an albino gene and the doe is genetically broken! Can't quite tell what the colours are though, so maybe later you can say what genetic colour she actually is!!

Devon's Mom Lauren":vlakw7zy said:
Nice! well you know 2 things now.... the black buck most likely doesn't carry an albino gene and the doe is genetically broken! Can't quite tell what the colours are though, so maybe later you can say what genetic colour she actually is!!

Actually, Nibbles, the black bun in there with Fluffy, is a little dwarf doe Fluffy grew up with. :) The daddy of this litter is Pinto:

0623001005a.jpg

Thank y'all! We are really pleased. We have no experience with actual meat breeds, so I had no idea how well Fluffy's first litter stacked up to the average NZW, so that's good to know that it's good for a NZW, too!

I know that albino is normally recessive, but so are blue eyes. However, in my husband's family, they are dominant. It seems that no matter who they marry, their children's eyes are blue. I have hazel eyes, but ILoveBunnies and Bunny-Wan Kenobi have blue eyes. :lol: So I didn't know if the albino genes might actually dominate Pinto's genes, but they obviously didn't!

Or do you still think that Fluffy is genetically broken? :)

i'm betting that most of them will be chestnut. And you might in the next litter get some white buns. Sometimes it's all luck of the draw it seems. Recessives play roles unexpected. :)

ladysown":yr1hz2of said:
i'm betting that most of them will be chestnut. And you might in the next litter get some white buns. Sometimes it's all luck of the draw it seems. Recessives play roles unexpected. :)
It is really fun watching all of the colors we get from these bunnies. We are seeing patterns in what we get from Pearl x Pinto (white, broken red, broken chestnut, with an occasional chestnut or chinchilla) and Squeak x Pinto (chinchilla, chestnut with varying concentrations of red, red, and a few brokens). So it'll be neat to watch the next couple of litters with Fluffy, to see the pattern with her. :)

Devon's Mom Lauren":yr1hz2of said:
Ohh ok! lol Pinto still has to carry a small "c" to pair up with the doe's small "c's" in order to get rew.
Oooooooooh, okay... Hmmm... I wonder if he has a "c" to pass on. I guess we'll eventually find out! :D

Latest posts

Back