Flemish Giants

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starshotbandit

Reaction score
Well, over the weekend I have aquired 3 Flemish Giants.... I know nuthing about the breed. I would love any and all info that I can get on them. They are sandy color, they are litter mates, 2 does and a buck. The buck and 1 doe weigh 10.5lbs and the other doe weighs 11.5lbs. Not sure how old they are. One was bred on the 30th of april and the other, the other day by their brother. We will be building them new cages I will be housing the does together. I would love to see pics and to get an idea if I have good stock. Hubby said I cant have anymor rabbits,evean if its a free one. If I bring 1 n, 1 has to go. :razz2: That really sucks cause I really need another NZ doe :( . At least I got the flemish that I have alwas wanted, I kno that they are not the best meat to bone to feed rabbits but I love the big guys (just like I want a perchron again one day). Thanks for any help!

Well, I don't know how much advice I have, but I'd love to see pics! I love flemmies :) We raise Mini Lops, but we have a Flemish Giant house bunny. We just love her. She's a steel.

I guess my only advice would be, make sure you have BIG nestboxes! LOL!

Found out that they are about 7 mo old and they are not eating that much, im kinda suprised. I feed my cali and NZ around 3/4-1 cup each a day these guys are eating about the same.

That sounds like they may be a little young to be breeding...and at that age they are not full grown yet...they will keep growing for almost a year still..then you will know their full size (not that I'm saying wait a year, if the does were ready they were ready :p)...most of the people I have met near here dont breed their flemish does till they are nine months old, I know my seven month old buck isnt ready for the girls yet so maybe yours developed faster?

starshotbandit":33mt3ifu said:
Hubby said I cant have anymor rabbits,evean if its a free one. If I bring 1 n, 1 has to go. :razz2:

It sounds like someone needs to be infected with Rabbitosis!

Maybe you can drag him along to the show this weekend- there should be lots of people shedding the Rabbitosis Virus there. :twisted:

Sinnfox":1brwtl6x said:
That sounds like they may be a little young to be breeding...and at that age they are not full grown yet...they will keep growing for almost a year still..then you will know their full size (not that I'm saying wait a year, if the does were ready they were ready :p)...most of the people I have met near here dont breed their flemish does till they are nine months old, I know my seven month old buck isnt ready for the girls yet so maybe yours developed faster?

Sinnfox is right 7 months is too young to breed a FG.

And those weight s sound awfully low to me, even for a FG that hasn't finished growing. Lets hope tey put on some weight now, do you have any idea how big the parents/siblings are?

No idea on the parents but they are siblings, I think my friend kept 1 but gave the 3 to me.She had the whole litter, but 1 went missing in the first few days then she had to send one to frezer camp cause her goat tried to giv it a flying lesson. they seem a little slim to me but not bad. making sure that they have food most of the tome . I really want to see them get up to a good weight.

starshotbandit":3nv5xzpc said:
Well, over the weekend I have aquired 3 Flemish Giants.... I know nuthing about the breed. I would love any and all info that I can get on them. They are sandy color, they are litter mates, 2 does and a buck. The buck and 1 doe weigh 10.5lbs and the other doe weighs 11.5lbs. Not sure how old they are. One was bred on the 30th of april and the other, the other day by their brother. We will be building them new cages I will be housing the does together. I would love to see pics and to get an idea if I have good stock. Hubby said I cant have anymor rabbits,evean if its a free one. If I bring 1 n, 1 has to go. :razz2: That really sucks cause I really need another NZ doe :( . At least I got the flemish that I have alwas wanted, I kno that they are not the best meat to bone to feed rabbits but I love the big guys (just like I want a perchron again one day). Thanks for any help!

A healthy breeding weight for the Flemmies is at least 16 lbs for does and 14 lbs for bucks. I have bred a few Flemish Giant litters myself. If both does are bred, I would put them in separate hutches so they won't fight over the litters.
Hope this helps!

~SDR

We breed Flemish Giants. When we started we were told to breed around 10months old. Since they are a large breed they are not mature until they are older. My doe is right now 1yr old & just had her 1st litter about a month ago. Her name is Lollipop & she weighs around 16lbs.

Attachments

• 183 - Copy.JPG
    183 - Copy.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 633
I have a preg flem does shes 2 yrs old and weight 15 lbs, They dont eat as much as people think they do, mine eats MAYBE a cup a day, I also feed plenty of timothy green grass and hay alfalfa apples and parsley, a carrot every other day or 2 and alittle wheat bread to supplement their feed, the ideal breeding age is 8-9months but if yours are bred thell kindle during their 8th month....Just give them a few months before rebreeding to make sure they pack on the pounds and get back into good condition and shape.. Hope this helps

Seth<br /><br />__________ Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:55 pm __________<br /><br />BARTON, beautiful doe!!

Back